chapter 29

Saturday, 25 November

I am done with my exams, so are my cousins and siblings so we are currently having a braai in KZN.

Our women are inside talking about stuff and we are outside roasting the meat.

Dad: how has it been, juggling everything?
Me: it has been tough but I'm managing.

They all nod.

After roasting the meat, we head inside. Gogo Nomzamo is also here, not as our helper anymore but as our in-law, family. We even laid her off but we still pay her.

We are now sitting in lounge, everyone with their partner and the loners are alone. The kids are upstairs in the playroom with a few helpers watching them, they are a handful.

We are listening to love stories.

Aviwe: Thando and I really fought for our love. I mean I loved Thando for a long time but I could have never told her because she was Uyathandwa's best friend. so on a random day, I was going to get some early dinner at the mall. I walked into Mugg and Bean and there she was...

*flashback

Thando's POV

I eat and guess who gate crashes my party?

Aviwe: hey.
Thando: hey.
Aviwe: it's been a while, sisi.

Sisi?! I let it slide and fake a smile. He takes a seat right across me and places his order.

Aviwe: wow, you look so good like always. I mean I tried to text to check up on you like multiple times but you left me on read.
Thando: I'm sorry about that...
Aviwe: are you okay though?
Thando: yeah, I guess i am.

We eat and when we are done, he offers me a ride home so he pays the bill and we leave. On our way to the parking lot, I can't help but notice that he is wearing white sweats and a white hoodie. It would be giving boma couple goals if only this idiot noticed me.

Well, I let him take me home. I can't get over how sexy his cars are. Today, he is driving the i8. It's black and absolutely gorgeous. I wouldn't consider myself a car girl cause I don't really know a lot about cars.

We get home and he says he wants to get in so I click the remote and open the gate and I show him the parking spot for our apartment. We sit in awkward silence listening to music playing for a moment. He keeps looking at me, it's kinda weird.

Aviwe brings his face closer to mine, gently brushing my cheek with his thumb.

Kaylow- 24 hours plays on his phone which is connected to the Bluetooth

Aviwe: I've been waiting for this moment for what seems like forever.

He brushes his nose against mine and begins to kiss me. I kiss him back and all I see in that moment is stars.
He unfastens his seat belt with his lips stuck to mine still. He stops kissing me and opens the door and runs to my side. He opens the door and unfastens my seatbelt. He gently grabs my hand and pulls me out. He closes the door and pins me against the car. He grabs me by my waist and kisses me all over again, oh this feels like a dream. I stop kissing him for a brief moment.

Thando: I love you, viwe.
Aviwe: I love you, thandolwami.
Thandi: oh so, I wasn't wrong.
Aviwe: about what?
Thando: you calling me thandolwami, it felt like you were calling me yours.
Aviwe: well in that case, you weren't wrong.

He attempts to kiss me but I start talking instead.

Thando: oh I wasn't imagining it, I thought I was...

He shuts me up with a kiss.

Aviwe: ngyak'thanda, mama.

*back to present time

Aviwe: so yeah, that's how it happened. our parents found out about and we had to run away and start all over in Cleveland and we did just that. we did what we had to do to be together.

I think what my uncle just told me just goes to show that love really does conquer all.

We go around the table telling each other our love stories and we are now listening to the story of how my dad proposed to my mom.

Mom: he really didn't propose. He introduced me to his family that day and I made the feast of the century. After lunch with his family, he told me that his uncles were on their way and my lobola was the next day. I was happy but livid at the same time because why didn't he tell me? however, I was head over heels in love and I could never object to anything that he said so I picked up my baby, my bags and went to my house to make sure everything is running smoothly for the negotiations. I thought I was dreaming but no, by the end of the following day, I was no longer Uyathandwa Sibeko but Uyathandwa Dlamini.
Angela: awww, that's cute.

My dad places a peck on my mother hand and everyone blushes.

Angela: well, I guess he got it from his dad.
Mom: really?
Thando: what did he say exactly?
Angela: nothing. Junior woke up that morning and wrote me a heart warming note, he placed the ring on top of the note and he left.
Dad: he's not my son.

My dad says and the whole room bursts into laughter.

Me: hey, in my defence, I got her a money bouquet after that and I took her to dinner. I mean nothing about us has ever been normal so why should the proposal be?
Thando: I know, I mean...

*gunshots

Me: get down!!

The in-house guards run and get everyone to hide. My uncles, my dad, my grandfather and I pull out our guns. We walk out with the guards and we should at everything the belongs to the enemy, every fly, every roach they came in with.

I run to the car to see who it belongs to but I get shot in my left arm.

Dad: son!

We duck as the bullets keep coming.

Me: I'm okay.

We walk out slowly, while checking the coast. We shoot at the last few people left, that came with the enemy. I grab the last gun and pin him to the floor.

Me: who sent you?!
Guy: no one!
Me: who sent you?!
Guy: no one!
Me: fine then!

I let go and he gets up from the floor and tries to run but I shoot at him from behind. He falls to the ground and groans in pain.

Me: this is your last chance.
Guy: no one sent me!
Me: alright.

I empty my clip on him and run back inside. The sight before my eyes causes my jaw to drop to the floor.