chapter 19

Wednesday, April 5th

Angela and I are currently on our way to KZN. She doesn't know the real reason why and I'd like it to remain that way.

She thinks it's because we're going to visit Gogo Nomzamo. I am actually going there to discuss entering the business but this time around, with my grandfather. My dad made it quite clear that he wants no part in this so I'll find other ways to make it happen.

Angela is sitting in the passenger seat, stuffing her face with the McDonald's i got for her at our third stop. Yes, we've been making stops for both, her cravings and her peeing.

We are now a few streets away from my grandparents house. I stop by the garage to get some petrol and get Angela more snacks.

Please leave me alone, I'm already tired as it is. Angela has been munching, crying, throwing fits and sleeping.

We get to my grandparents house and we are met with my grandmother. She meets us halfway with a huge smile and Angela has the same smile, I wish she could have this smile at home. I don't know, maybe I'm paying for getting her pregnant.

Gogo: my baby.
Me: hey gogo.
Gogo: you look tired.

I side eye Angela and my grandmother bursts into fits of laughter. Angela looks at us confused as to why my grandmother is laughing.

Gogo: come in, please.
Me: where's Mkhulu?
Gogo: he's in his study.

I nod and head to my grandfathers study. I knock and he allows me in.

Mkhulu: ah boy!

He gives me a hug and let's go before sitting on the couch.

Mkhulu: take a seat.
Me: mkhulu, I need something.
Mkhulu: talk to me, boy.
Me: I want to join the business.

His eyes widen as shock overcomes him.

Mkhulu: but your father made it quite clear that...
Me: I know but I think it's about time I made my own choices, for myself and my family.
Mkhulu: son...
Me: mkhulu, allow me to grow, allow me to make my own choices.
Mkhulu: okay, I'll think about it and let you know.

I nod and get up.

Mkhulu: where are you going now?
Me: let us not forget that I have a pregnant fiancé whose mood changes with each second that goes by.
Mkhulu: oh.

He laughs and I leave the room. I find my uncle Mpumi standing at the door.

Me: uncle, how long have you been standing there?
Mpumi: long enough to know that you are planning on going against your father's will, what happened to our Junior?
Me: he grew up, malume.

I look at him for a good ten seconds before walking off.