chapter 23

Tuesday, July 18th

My mother gave birth to my baby brother a month ago on this exact date. He is Atu Shaka Dlamini. He looks just like Nkosingphile.

Angela and I were supposed to go down to my parents house today to celebrate the baby's first full month but miss girl here is due any day now.

22:45

I feel someone nudge me.

Me: huh?
Angela: baby!

She says now pushing me.

Me: yes!

I say getting up from the bed.

Angela: I don't feel too good.

She gets up and walks to the door but then a whole waterfall comes down from between her legs.

Angela: ah, my water just broke!
Me: no, not now.
Angela: when?! when, Junior?! on your own free time?! are we waiting for Christmas?!
Me: I'm sorry, dude. don't bite my head off.

I get up and grab the baby's bag before helping here put on her slippers. I then change into a black winter set and wear some sneakers.

Me: let's go.

I hold her hand and we go down to the car.

On the way to the hospital, I call my parents and the rest of my family to inform them about the little somebody that's coming now.

We get to the hospital and I help her in. They lead her to her allocated ward. She then changes into the hospitals scrubs before laying on the bed.

Angela: can I please have some ice?

I run down to get her some ice and run back.

Angela: thank you.

We sit there as she eats the ice like it's some type of snack.

Her contraction get worse after a few so I give her my hand. She squeezes my hand with each contraction that she gets and trust me, you don't want to know the pain I'm feeling right now.

A few hours later...

Doc: there she is! Mr. Dlamini, you are now a father to a beautiful, healthy baby girl.

Tears fill my eyes as they hand Angela the baby first. She looks at me with a smile.

Angela: she is so beautiful.

She really is, my baby is the perfect combination of her mother and father. I have never seen a baby as beautiful as this one, no offence.

She hands her to me and I'm amazed, truly amazed. I lack the vocabulary to put into words just how much this moment means to me.

Me: Milani.
Angela: Kamari.
Me: Dlamini.