chapter 13

Saturday, 25 March

You're probably wondering what happened to school? I have been going to school part time and managing my household full time. It hasn't been easy but I have got to make it work, for my family.

Anyway, I just finished my assignment which is due on Monday. Angela has been waiting for me to finish it so we can go to the mall.

We are going to buy clothes and other essentials for our baby. We still don't know the gender so we are going to work with neutral colours.

My relationship with Angela has been going good. We are extremely happy and it's us against the world. To be honest with you, I think I love her.

She's wearing a white body hugging dress, which obviously shows off her belly. She is also wearing a black and white flannel. I'm wearing a black winter set because it's a bit chilly today.

Anyway, I go up to our room where I find her napping so I sit next to where she's sleeping.

I give her a peck on her cheek before whispering into her ear...

Me: let's go, my love.
Angela: okay.

She whispers back and we burst into fits of laughter.

Me: okay, get up.

I help her up and help her put on her novelty slippers. I then hold her hand and grab our matching iPhone 14s.

I also grab her cross body bag and she puts it on. We then go to the parking lot and off we go.

We get to the small and start at Adidas and get our baby some stuff from there. We then move to Nike and end it off at BabiesrUs. We get some clothes and the baby's bottles.

We then head to the till with my eyes glued to my phone. Our pregnancy progress photoshoot is tomorrow so I'm trying to make sure everything is in order.

Angela places everything on the till and I hear the cashier say my name...

???: Junior Dlamini?

I look up and see my ex, Dee.

Me: Dineo Hlophe.
Dee: you're having a baby and didn't even think to tell us?
Me: who are you again and why are you so important?
Dee: dude...
Me: just do your job.
Angela: baby...
Me: it's okay, love.
Dee: love? Junior, I don't remember you and I breaking up?!
Me: my sister, you are causing a scene and embarrassing yourself.
Dee: Junior, I love you please!

Angela clears her throat and looks around to see that the other people are looking at us too.

Me: let's go.

I hold her hand and she walks away.

Me: do you see what you've done?

I run after her and as we exit the mall with our shopping bags, we bump into Mbali.

Mbali: Junior?
Angela: yoh!

She walks away and I just stand there, dumbfounded. We stand there for a couple of minutes before I actually run to my car. I place our shopping bags in the trunk and I hop in the drivers seat.

I start the car and drive back to our house. She then throws my phone at me as a notification pops in from Dineo and the text reads...

"We never ended things, therefore you are still mine. No one deserves you like I do. Also, I'm pregnant."

Me: baby, she's lying.
Angela: drive, Ntsikelelo.
Me: baby...
Angela: i said drive, man!
Me: don't you ever raise your voice at me! I am still your husband and you will not speak to me however you like, respect me and let that respect be visible in your actions.
Angela: respect is not given but earned! how am I going to respect a man that has been sleeping with multiple women?!
Me: that was months before you!
Angela: oh so she really is pregnant?
Me: oh my word! Angela, are you serious right now?
Angela: dead serious.

I step on the clutch and there cars speed increases insanely.

Angela: Junior!
Me: what?!
Angela: stop!
Me: I asked you to not raise your voice at me! I am your man and you are going to respect me, am I clear?!
Angela: yes! yes, just stop what you are doing please!

I don't release the clutch and she holds on to her seat belt while rubbing her belly.

Angela: Junior, our baby!

I stop the car as I remember that she's carrying my child.

Angela: are you crazy?

She whispers as tears fall down her face and her hands are shaking.

Me: I'm so sorry.

I say as tears fall down my face as well.

Me: I'm sorry.

She just nods and looks out of the window. I start the car and start driving back to our apartment.

When we get there, I take out our shopping bags and she heads to the apartment on her own. This is the first time since she moved her that she goes up on her own.

I get up and find her curled up on the bed with a throwover, crying her eyes out. I attempt to hold her but she pushes my hand off.

Angela: please leave me alone.

I grab my car keys and leave the house. I return after taking a drive around town and I find her still in bed, she only changed into her nightwear.

I take a shower and wear my nightwear before joining her.

Angela: where are you coming from?
Me: I just went for a drive.

She nods and looks the other way.

Angela: maybe we should break up and maybe only co-parent.
Me: if that's what makes you happy then I'm okay with it.

She nods.

Angela: that would make me happy.

I won't lie, this is a bitter pill to swallow. My heart hurts.

Angela: I already called your mom and she's fetching me after our photoshoot.
Me: should I help you pack?
Angela: no, I already did.
Me: okay.