chapter 4

Gogo~ a way of respectfully addressing your grandmother.
Mkhulu~ a way of respectfully addressing your grandfather.

Monday, 23 September

My mom booked the kids off at school today because we are going to KZN.
KZN is where my grandparents from my paternal side, reside.

Anyway, she packed for us last night and we're making our way there right now. We are in the V-Class and my dad is driving, I'm in the passenger seat and everyone else at the back.

Mom: you boys don't care about me anymore, all you ever do is stay on those phones of yours.
Dad: haibo Uyathandwa, where is this coming from?
Mom: babe, am I lying?
Dad: no, my love. however, you can't expect them to not grow up and of course, things change as they grow up.

She folds her arms and I can see tears form in her eyes. My dad can't relate to what she's feeling, the only children that love him as their favourite are the girls and they are still obsessed with him.

Me: I love you, mama.

I say looking back at her. She nods and wipes her tears away. Nkosingphile wipes her tears gives her a kiss on the forehead.

Nkosi: we're sorry, we'll do better.

Uyathandwa has been so emotional lately.

We make a stop to get some snacks and other refreshments. The girls go in to pee and Nkosi decides to buy mom some flowers. Not that it helped, because she cried after receiving the flowers.

My dad has also given up so we get in the car and continue our journey.