chapter 9

Friday, February 16th

School starts next week Wednesday and I believe I'm quite prepared. I have already moved into my apartment near campus and everything is in order. My parents send me money at the end of every week, which is R100 000.

I actually broke up with Dineo when I came back this side, in October. Mbali disappeared during our talking stage so I have been pretty single.

14:00
Anyway, I am hungry so I order in and as I'm having my lunch, two cars drive in and I head downstairs to meet my guests.

Me: hey dad.
Dad: Ntsikelelo.

I think I'm in trouble, he never calls me that.

My aunt, Thando and my uncle, Aviwe also get out of their cars.

Me: I haven't seen you in so long.

I run to them and hug them both.

Aviwe: it's been a while, boy.

They still live in Cleveland so we don't get to them a lot.

Mom: the kids are sleeping in the cars, we have quite a journey ahead of us so please go freshen up.
Me: where are we going?
Thando: I don't think you want to know that right now.
Aviwe: just go freshen up and wear something nice.

I run up to my apartment and do as told. I grab my takeout because I didn't really eat, I also grab my fanny pack which has my keys, my car keys, my wallet and my cologne. I then lock up and head downstairs where their cars are parked.

We all get in our cars and start driving and I still have no idea where we are headed. I'm guessing it's a surprise.

After hours of driving, we finally reach our destination and I'd know where we are, even with my eyes closed.

Anyway, we all walk into my grandparents house with Siyamthanda sleeping in my arms.

The moment I step into the living room, I see Angela sitting next to my grandmother, with my grandfather sitting on the other side which is next to her.

She has a throwover, like always.

I greet everyone and head upstairs to put the baby down. I then go back down and take my seat.

My whole family is here. My mom's mother, my dad's parents, my uncles and aunts. My siblings are upstairs and so are Kayise and Noya.

Mkhulu: son, you are probably wondering what is going on here.

He says and my eyes wander off to Angela who has her head bowed and a blanket over her shoulder. She is also wearing a headwrap.

Mkhulu: boy, it has recently come to our attention that you had something with Gogo Nomzamo's granddaughter here.

I just nod.

Mkhulu: well, Angela is 11 weeks pregnant with your child.

My eyes widen and my jaw drops as I have no idea how to react to this. I quickly pick up my jaw and I look down, with shame.

Mkhulu: now, we have to do everything according to tradition and according to tradition, you have to pay damages and pay lobola for this girl.

I just nod at everything he says.

Mkhulu: so what do you say?
Me: I'll do all that is required of me.
Mkhulu: now, because of that, you have to marry Angela.

I look at Angela and she looks at me with tears in her eyes.

Me: I will marry her.
Mkhulu: alright. Does anyone want to add anything?

Everyone just shakes their heads.

Mkhulu: alright. Junior, we are going to pay damages tomorrow. Angela's uncle is coming tomorrow to speak about that, you are also going to pay her lobola at one go.

I nod in order to show them that I agree with all that they are saying.