Chapter Nineteen: Betrayed By A Lover

The next day, Ryder informs everyone that they will be invading one of John's hideouts.

" I've got a lead. I heard John and his men will be exchanging drugs for weapons in the next hour. We have to take them by surprise.".

After the meeting, Alice pulled Ryder back into the room and locked the door behind her.

" Whoa, slow down little lady. " he says giving her a look of lust.

" I need to tell you something. " Alice whispers.

" As much as I would love to right now, but we're in a hurry. " Ryder says.

" Huh." Alice looked at him with a blank stare.

Ryder gives her a cocky smirk .

" Shut up. This may sound stupid but... footsteps approaching my room in the middle of the night woke me up, and when I looked at the bottom of the door, I saw someone standing out there for a while.".

" You think it was the boogey man coming to get ya?", " No-" she exhaled.

" Ohhhh I get it... you tryna get me to share a bed with you. Just say so cutie, you don't have to beat around the bush. ".

" I'm serious, come on! " Alice whined as she looks down and played with her fingers.

" I'm listening. ".

" After the shadow disappeared , I suddenly heard a noise coming from the garden. I tried to see who it was, but it was too dark.".

Ryder gently held her hands to calm her down, " I'll check the camera's, don't worry. I just need you to know that you will always be safe when you're under my protection. I mean yeah, unexpected shit may happen, but at the end of the day I won't let you get hurt.".

Alice lowers her head with embarrassment as her cheeks turn red, feeling reassured.

As they leave the room, Alice caught Mai standing near the door trying to eavesdrop.

" What were you two doing in there all alone?" Mai teased.

" Mai. Gather everyone around, i'm going to check on something before we go." Ryder ordered as he walked away ignoring her remark.

Moments later, Ryder walks over to his men and calls out for Billy.

Billy excitedly runs up to his boss and waits for him to talk.

" What were you doing in front of Alice's room last night?" Ryder asks.

" Oh, boss nothing honestly. I couldn't sleep and everyone was snoring, so I thought I'd check if Alice was still up since I bumped into her many times at night before. But I heard her soft snores from outside the door so I decided to go out for a walk. That's all." he nervously explained.

" You scared the living shit out of her last night just because you couldn't sleep? Don't you know that she is afraid to close her eyes at night, because every time she does she thinks that someone is above her head trying to kill her? " Ryder pinches his temple in frustration, " Bruce, from now on, you will be guarding her bedroom 24/7. I don't want anyone near that room without my permission." he ordered.

" Now get out of my face, Billy! " Ryder yells.

Billy sulked his shoulders and walked away feeling defeated. Mai runs over to her brother and asks him what was going on. " Billy is acting so stupid. Everyone here knows Alice's current situation with John, and he decided to be a creep, just because he couldn't sleep? ".

" Yikes, but don't you think you were a bit harsh?".

" No. Everyone's got to understand that Alice has to feel safe here, not scared. She stays up all night down here because of her anxiety."... " I know..." Mai sighed, " Why don't you guys share a room? You would be assured of her safety and she wouldn't have to worry about anyone slitting her throat in her sleep! " Mai says with a grin.