Chapter Thirty-One: Unexpected Events

Days turned into weeks, and the hospital felt cold and lifeless. Ryder stood by the side of Alice's hospital bed, his heart heavy with despair, watching her fragile form lie motionless. Time seemed to stand still since the fateful night when Alice slipped into a coma. Everyday, Ryder pleaded with whatever higher power that exits, begging for a miracle, for any sign that Alice would wake up and return to him.

But the room remained hauntingly silent, and hope began to fade away from Ryder's heart. Each passing day only deepened his anxiety, pushing him further into the grips of depression that threatened to devour his soul. The once fearless leader now felt powerless, lost in a world that doesn't make sense to him anymore without Alice by his side.

In Ryder's absence, Brandon and Kaden took over the mafia. They had done their best to keep the mafia in order and protect their territory, but chaos had began to spread like wildfire.

Entering the dimly lit room, Brandon found Ryder sitting next to Alice, his eyes bloodshot, dark circles swallowing them, and his face weak with grief. He clenched his fists, trying to gather all the strength he needs to be able to knock some sense into Ryder's desolated mind.

" Ryder..." His voice cracked, " We need you. The mafia is falling apart. Kaden and I are doing our best, but it's not enough. You're the only one everyone fears. ".

Ryder's eyes remained fixed on Alice, his voice barely above a whisper. " I can't leave her, Brandon. I won't leave her side.".

Brandon grasps Ryder's shoulders, shaking him gently but firmly, " You think Alice would want to see you like this? She loves you, Ryder. She would want you to fight through these desperate times. She's not a quitter, and I don't think she'd want you to be one. The mafia needs it's leader, and Alice needs you to be strong, not broken.".

Ryder's eyes welled with tears as Brandon's words grazed through the room. He knew that Brandon is right, he has other responsibilities weighing on his shoulders. Swallowing the lump in his throat, he nods his head, understanding the gravity of his absence.

" Call in Mai and Jake. Someone has to stay here by her side. " Ryder says, his voice steadier than before. " And make sure the hospital is heavily guarded. No one and nothing will harm her. ".

A flicker of relief washed Brandon's chest, " They both are already here, standing outside. ".

As night dropped, Ryder walked away from Alice's bedside. Leaving her in the hands of his loyal friends and mobsters. With a renewed purpose, Ryder stepped back into the ruthless world that surrounded him.

" Jake... " Mai said in a tone filled with sorrow.

" Hmm. ".

" I haven't seen you around much. Care to tell me where have you been the past few weeks?!? " Mai said, waving her dagger around in her hand.

" I've been trying to get a hold of Mary. I looked for her everywhere, and she isn't answering my calls. " Jake explains.

" Listen, I need you to be honest with me. ".

Jake's body stiffened, knowing what the upcoming conversation is going to be about.

" Why did John call you Nicholas? Why did he say you work for him? " Mai's soft voice turned into an angry one.

" Everything he said was true. He manipulated me into thinking that Ryder kidnapped her. After training me, he told me that I had to start my mission on taking her back... But Alice explained everything to me, and since then... I didn't want anything to do with him. ".

" Is that so? ".

" I promise, Mai. I would never do anything to hurt her. " Jake began to defend himself.