Chapter Twenty-Eight: Misunderstandings

Alice stumbled up the staircase, her heart pounding like a captive bird against its cage. Tears streamed down her face, blurring her vision as she rushed through the halls heading to her room. Alice, blinded by sorrow, bumps into Jake and his wife in the halls. The impact brought the two women crashing to the floor.

Quick to act, Jake's instincts took over him, he helped Mary to stand back up to her feet.

" I'm so sorry. " Alice mumbled.

" It's alright. " Jake said, as Alice rushed into her room.

Jake helped Mary on to their bed, whispering " Hey, I'll be back in a minute, I need to find out what's wrong with Alice.".

Hearing those words, Mary's heartache blended with her frustration, burning a fire within her soul. In the midst of her misery, she lashes out at Jake, " You're really going to leave me here alone at a moment like this?! For a woman that should mean nothing to you!?! ".

" Who do you think you are? It's none of your business! " Jake replies, giving her an irritated look.

" I am your fucking wife, who just had a miscarriage. Who's more important?! ".

" As if you actually cared about our son! Besides, get your shit together. Lately you've been pissing me off due to all your jealousy and shit! ".

" I thought you shared the same feelings as I do for you! ".

" I don't think if I ever told you this before, but Alice is the ONLY woman I will ever love. Take your head out of your ass and remember why we got married in the first place. ".

Mary looks at Jake with disgust, as he walks over to the door. He stops midway and turns back to Mary, " If you wanna leave... just do it. I will keep your secret as long as you stay out of my way from now on.".

Jake slams the door behind him as he rushes over to check up on Alice.

He barges in to Alice's room to find her laying in bed, wrapped up in her sheets. He walks over to her, trying to hold her up in to his embrace.

" Leave me alone! " Alice cries.

" Petit... tell me what's wrong." He says as his voice cracks.

" I don't wanna talk. ".

Jake lays down next to Alice, since she refused to sit up. " I'm not leaving until you tell me what happened.".

Alice knows how stubborn Jake is, so she had no other choice but to open up.

" I was so close to killing John... the son of a bitch that ruined my life. ".

" And what happened after that? ".

Alice took in a deep breath to calm herself down, " Ryder didn't let me.".

Jake clenched his jaw after hearing Ryder's name, " I'm sure he didn't let you kill him for your own good. " he tried not to show his irritation.

" I had a panic attack after that-", " Oh my God! Are you okay?" Jake cut her off.

" I felt my body giving up on me. All I could see was darkness, I thought I was gonna die... Then suddenly, I woke up to Ryder slapping me.".

" HE DID WHAT?!? " Jake yelled.

A loud boom coming from outside made Alice jump. " What was that!?!" she began to freak out.

" Calm down, petit. It's just thunder. " Jake said in a low comforting voice, as he hugged Alice tightly.

Another clap of thunder roared in the sky, making Alice throw her hands around Jake, griping him tightly. " It's okay. Just breathe." Jake whispers.