Season 1 Episode 4: The Beastiary

Scott trudged down the hallways, constantly snapping his rubber band. Before he left the house, he put a rubber band on and snapped it every time he felt himself going to sleep. By now, it's just a consecutive action.

Scott sighed as he rested his head against his locker, snapping the band even harder. The sound of a loud locker slam startled him out of his daze. He turned to his left to see a blank faced Kirstie.
"What?" He lazily asked.
"You didn't go to sleep last night. You look like shit and if we weren't alone out here, everyone would see your red arm healing at an excessive rate." Kirstie stated.
"I was busy." Scott sighed, opening his locker and pulling out his history book.
"Doing what?"
"Skimming through the expansive history of twenty-eight ancient supernatural and mythological serpents and serpentine creatures. And skimming alone was enough to make my brain hurt." Scott sighed, snapping the rubber band again.

Kirstie squinted at Scott before grabbing his wrist and pulling him into the janitors closet.
"What are you doi-" Scott was cut off mid sentence when Kirstie karate chopped him in the back of the neck, knocking him out cold.

She reached into his backpack and pulled out the beastiary.
"Rest up." She said, closing the janitor's closet door and turning on the overhanging light.

She plopped down next to Scott and opened the book, flipping through page after page until she found the serpentine index. She understood what Scott was talking about when he said skimming was enough to make his brain hurt. Most of them weren't even in English.

She flipped the page and read the first entry.

Weresnakes:

Weresnakes are shapeshifter with serpentine qualities and abilities. Much like werewolves. They also fall into categories based on the kind of snake they are similar to. Some weresnakes are venomous while others aren't.

In all, there are over a thousand different technical kinds.

Serpentine creatures:

There are a plethora of supernatural and mythological Serpents, but only a few are some that no one should mess with. The Hydra, Fafnir, and Ladon. All three are notorious in mythology for being vicious and threatening to civilizations.

Kirstie was completely confused by the beastiary. How could she pin what the boy was if there were tons of Serpents and weresnakes.

Suddenly, a word rang in her head.

Lyngheiõr

Perhaps if she looked into that she'd get some sort of idea. She didn't know if it had anything to do with the subject at hand, but anything was worth checking out.

She closed the book and put it back into Scott's backpack, zipping it up and letting him sleep in there.
---------

Scott woke up when he felt something poke his side. He groaned and asked for five more minutes, but it poked him again and he woke up with a grimace of annoyance.

The janitor was poking him with the mop, a confused look on his face. Scott scrambled to his feet and hastily fixed himself, dusting off his clothes and running a hand through his hair. He gave a curt nod and jogged out of the closet, leaving the school custodian completely baffled by the situation he walked into.

Scott blended into the crowd of people, searching for Kirstie. He searched and searched until he saw her walking into the library. He hastily sprinted across the campus to the library just in time to catch the door before it closed.