Season 2 Episode 15: Matt's Contribution

Matt walked along the creek with a small jar filled with a soft metal. He hummed softly as he listened to the rustles of the trees and the approaching footsteps of the person he'd asked to meet him.

"What did you call me here for?" Aren said, hand on her hips. She was still left in the dark about what he was there for.

Matt smiled, setting the jar down on one of the rocks, "I've come to bargain."
"Bargain what?"
"I know about the hunters. And I know that you seek protection from them. Hence your kidnapping and manipulating of Kirstin Maldonado." Matt said.

Aren rolled her eyes as she slid down the small hill, standing across the creek from Matt. She knew that he was completely correct, but she also knew that she couldn't afford to trust Matt. She'd heard of him before, and it wasn't reassuring. She would need to tread lightly, "That is correct. My remaining siblings and I require a little extra power to ensure our survival from the hunters."
"I am here to offer my strength in an agreement. Only on one condition will I help you." Matt said.

Aren glared, "And what would that be?"
"I want it. I want the vault. All of it. The feathers. The jar. The stone. All of it. That along with your word of keeping clear of the Smith Pack... as well as the Hoying Gang." Matt said.
"No deal. If you thought I would agree to something that obsurd then you're more delusional than Iris was." Aren shook her head violently.

Matt shrugged and reached back down for the jar, "Well. I suppose this negotiation is over, then. Have a lovely death by the hands of the Kirks. It wasn't pleasant knowing."

Aren chewed her lip, staring down into the creek. She knew that as they stood, it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel once the hunters caught up with them. She also knew this was probably her only chance to do anything about it, "Wait."

Matt stopped, smirking, "I thought so."
"I'll take the deal." Aren said.

Matt held out his hand, "Shake to make it official."
"Are you serious?" Aren tilted her head, glaring at him.

Matt simply wiggled his hand out. He was deathly serious.

Aren sighed and stepped into the creek. She frowned when she realized how deep it was. However, she kept trudging.

Matt chuckled, throwing the jar at one of the protruding rocks near Aren. Mere seconds later, a massive explosion ripped through the water. Aren's scream rang through out the area before the smoke settled.

Aren was lying on her back in the water, burns engulfing her body. She couldn't even move, "What...why?" She managed.

Matt trudged into the water, his claws coming out, "It was Rubidium. And you see, I have my reasons. One is to help tip the odds in a few of my friends' favor. And to do that, I've gotta get rid of the strongest one."

Aren closed her eyes. She realized just how much she regretted the things she'd done. She regretted how she'd trusted Matt, even for a second. She regretted how she'd treated her siblings. And most of all, she regretted not being able to warn them.

In a swift moment, the running creek ran red with Aren's blood as Matt slashed her throat. A calming silence loomed over the scene, the sound of running water being the only sound. Soon, soft splashes joined as Matt left, leaving Aren's body to lie defeated in a watery grave.

—————

Roman paced nervously around the warehouse, frown deeply formed on his features. Iris was dead and Aren hadn't come back. This was all falling apart at a rate that he couldn't even process. And he knew that the Kirks were hot on their trail. To add, he found a note in his locker. It sat on the small, dusty table.

Meet us in the woods tomorrow. We're going to settle this.

He knew it was the pack. And he knew that it was an extreme gamble to attempt any sort of conflict with them. Like a snake fighting a lion. The snake could win, but it would be an incredibly difficult task.

Aura was watching him pace, sniffling. She was crying not too long ago, mourning over the death of her sibling. In all honesty, she wasn't very attached to Iris— but it was Siren tradition to wail for a lost sibling or ally.

"We need to do something." Roman finally spoke.
"Like what?" Aura said.
"I don't know! We could try leaving. Stealing a car and bolting, leaving a trail to the wolves for the Kirks to make them stay here whilst we dip." Roman said.
"And how exactly are we going to do that?"
"I don't..."
"Exactly! You don't know! You've spent all this time trying to prove that you could handle a life or death situation and now Iris is dead and Aren probably is, too! The strongest members of our 'family' are gone and we're just sitting here with our tails between our legs!" Aura shouted.

Roman frowned, looking down to his feet.

Aura growled. She saw how defeated Roman was and she hated it. She stood and marched over; with all her might she slapped her brother to the ground, "You're the only blood I have! And if you die, I die! So grow some balls and get ready. Tomorrow we slaughter some wolves."

Roman held his cheek, looking up at her from his position on the ground. He'd never seen this from Aura. She was always the quiet conforment. The one who went with everything. The fact that she, his only true sibling out of them all, was standing up was almost reassuring. Almost. He still didn't know what the wolves were capable of. And from what one of them did to Iris— turning her to dust— he knew they would probably kill them.

Aura walked to the large, steel door of the place, kicking it open, "You hear me?! We're gonna finish this!" She said.

Roman swallowed the lump in his throat. He wasn't going to lie. He was absolutely terrified. With two goes hunting them down, he was basically a sitting duck with his now overly bossy sister. All he could do was hope that luck was on their side and they'd be able to escape this populated death trap with their lives in tact.