Chapter 15

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? It is a-"

"Chicken." I replied in a dull tone. I turned to look at Jack. "You brought us to a farm?"

"Look at the bright side. It's behind you."

"Wait what?!?"

"No seriously look behind." I turned around to see nothing but hay and a dark pathway. I looked back at him as he continued. "No one is there. No paparazzi. No one. This is the only place I can get real peace. Without being photographed."

We sat down on the ground as we watched the chickens leading their lives. "So do you own this farm?"

"Yes." He smiled as he watched a chicken eat something.

"When I was little I always wanted a farm. When I told my parents they were shocked but they couldn't resist my puppy dog face."

"Show me." He did the face and I grabbed his face in my hands. "So adorable." He moved my hands away.

"This was like 12 years ago Michelle not 12 weeks ago."

"How old were you then?"

"9." So that makes him 21 now. Bingo! And hurray! At least I haven't got myself an uncle.

"So do you name your chickens?" I asked.

"I used to but I would get confused and there is no point. They wouldn't really come over to you when you call."

"Oh."

"So do you have any pets?" Jack asked.

"No but when I was 13 I really wanted a German Shepherd and a tropical fish." He eyes lit up as he looked at me.

"Really? Why a German Shepherd?"

"I just love them and I think they are so cool."

"That's interesting." We watched the chickens flying occasion and eating a lot. We sat in this position for a while until it started to get late. "I don't know why Michelle but I love sitting up late and looking at the sky. The sunset always amazes me no matter how many times I have seen it."

I looked up and he was right. The sunset was amazing.

"Even the chickens are looking up amazed." Jack eyes landed on the chickens and he laughed as he watched them.

"They really are amazed Michelle.  Just like us."

Suddenly the supermarket flowers by Ed Sheeran started to play making the settings look even more beautiful if that is possible. Jack stood up onto his feet and pulled me up with him before we got into the dance position. He guarded my steps as we danced to this song. The chickens started to wonder away as if they knew their time in the middle was over.

When the song ended me and Jack stood there starring at each other. I smiled to make things less awkward but he continued starring at me as if he found something that he as been looking for in a while. Then he leaned towards me, his eyes occasionally looking down at my lips. Instead of kissing me he leaned towards my ear and whispered something I had never heard before.

"My black beauty."

                               ***
When Jack dropped me of I quickly rushed to the library and saw James there. He saw me and gave me a small wave to go over to him. I took a seat next to him and he shuffled to sit closer to me. "OK let's see what you have." I watched him as he read my essay his eyebrows scrunched up in concentration while fingers rested gently on his bottom lip. It was then that I realised that our knees were touching. I moved my knees away out of respect but he quickly leaned his knee against my. I looked up at him to see that he was still reading my essay but this time it looked like he didn't have a lot of concentration. "Right Michelle your essay is very good you just need a bit more." He started to scribble some notes down on my essay. "Add on these parts and you should be fine." I nodded as I took my essay from him.

"Thank you sir."

"Please call me James." That is when I felt his hand on my thigh. He gently rubbed my thigh then leaned in close to me. "I really like the look of you. If you listen to me you could be leaving here with the top grades." I tried to stand up but his other hand quickly grabbed my arm.

"Sir let go. This is wrong."

"You want good grades right?"

"Yes I do but not this way." He let go of me and I quickly grabbed my things and ran out of the empty library. Once in my room I started to wonder.

Why now? Back in secondary school no guy looked at me that way. No one really acknowledged me but now its like I am finally being seen.

And I don't think I like it.