~~ 4. ~~

*But what are you waiting for? All we have is now. Don't run from this. - ONE TREE HILL*

            Demilade sat with his mother and grandmother in the dining. During their meal, his grandmother suddenly asked.

"Demmy, when will you find a woman?"

            He almost choked on his drinks when she asked. Although that had been his mother's anthem to him for some time now he had not expected his grandmother to also bring up the topic.

          What is it with the women about him finding a wife? He thought angrily.

"Be careful." His mother said with concern.

"I'm fine. Thank you." He quickly said, not to get her worried. He looked at her face and he saw the relief that washed over her face when she saw he was okay.

         He turned back to his grandmother. "What did you say grams?"

"I asked when are you going to find the right woman and bring her to us." He said nothing but bit the side of his lower lips. "You are not getting younger. Don't let your cute face and fine body deceive you. I already have your mother and two sons when I was your age." His grandmother said.

           Although his mother was her only surviving child, his grandmother once had two other children that died at a very young age.

"Well, you are a woman grams. I'm a man. "He said digging into his food.

"Do you plan on having a child when you are fifty? " She asked.

"Not at that age but not now either. I already told mom that I have a girlfriend. " He said looking at his mother hoping she could help him out.

"Grow up Demmy. You have all you ever need so I don't see why you shouldn't."

"I'm not ready to be tied down to a woman's grams." He said without looking at them. He was getting fed up with the topic already. He just wishes she drops the topic.

            He bit his lower lips. He knew his grandmother won't back off so easily like his mother. She would make him admit he was wrong. And now that she mentioned marriage, it won't be easy to avoid the discussion in the future. His mother would also fuel the matter.

"He won't listen. I have told him times without number." Mrs Jolaoluwa said to her mother.

          The old woman looked at her grandson. He was biting his lower lips. A mannerism he does when he is trying to stay calm and avoid something.

"And who is this girlfriend of yours?" She asked him dropping the fork in her hand on the plate. Demilade eyes grew wide open and he looked up. His eyes moved from his grandmother to his mother. They were both staring at him curiously. Waiting for his reply.

"Well...she...she is some random girl." He stuttered looking at his meal. His grandmother has this ability to make him feel so vulnerable.

"Random girl? You? Random girl? Are you lying to us Demilade?"

            God! He is in trouble. He thought. She doesn't usually call him Demilade but Demmy too.

"No grams. I'm not. I'm dating a girl now but she isn't the one. She isn't.....very important."

"How is your girlfriend not important?" His mother asked. She was getting angry. She can't believe her son would lie to her about such a thing, confidently.

            Demilade knew his mother was already getting angry just from hearing her voice.

"She is. It's just that... I don't have any thoughts of getting married to her.....anytime from now. And she is not in the country." He lied