Chapter 52 - The condition

"You want to do what?" Bhojraj exclaimed reading Shivaditya's petition.

"Pardon Bhaiya, he never betrayed us. And reinstate him as the crown prince" Shivaditya said.

"Reinstate him?" Bhojraj said.

"Yes, father."

"Is this a joke! Do you think the crown is some toy that you can keep juggling among yourselves? I can't do that. All the feudal lords support you. Even if I agree to your demand it will create a political crisis. There will be rebellions, wars, and whatnot. It's not possible."

"But we have wronged him, father. He needs to be compensated."

"Yes, I agree. He will be pardoned and I will appoint him as the chief advisors but I cant reinstate him."

"What if I renounce the crown?" Shiv asked.

"You won't do that. I won't allow it." Bhojraj replied angrily.

"I am sorry father I am going to renounce the throne. Please reinstate Dev Bhaiya." Shiv replied adamantly.

"You are defying me Shiv!" Bhojraj was shaking with anger.

"Father I am very sorry but please try to understand..."

"Enough! I have more important matters to deal with. I am pardoning Dev. That's it." Bhojraj dismissed Shivaditya.

He was angry. Shiva had been defying him even more nowadays. Shiv left reluctantly but this wasn't over yet.

********

Chitra summoned Poonam as soon she got Shiv's message.

"Your highness" Poonam bowed. Her eyes were bloodshot which meant she had been crying all night.

"Prince Devburman is going to be released today". Chitra said happily.

Poonam's expression changed like lighting.

" Really? Oh! thank you, your highness! how will I ever repay you?"

"I should thank you for bringing out the truth."

Poonam just looked down her face glowing with happiness.

"You can go to him if you want. I won't object."

Chitra said pointedly. Poonam blushed.

"I can't," she said softly.

"Why not?"

"I am not of his status your highness. I am just a lady in waiting. I just meet him when he demands. I mean he calls me when he wants to meet."

Chitra looked concerned "Poonam what kind of relationship do you have with him. Is he? I mean is he doing something inappropriate?"

"Oh no! Please don't misunderstand. His highness is the honourable man.....he never....he doesn't touch me in that way." She blushed remembering the kiss.

"So you just talk?"

"Yes he talks about his travels, the places he visited, the books he has read and he plays his flute which is from someplace called Tibet. He knows so many things....."

Chitra looked at her amused.

"He loves you Poonam," Chitra declared with an amused smile.

"Your Highness I can't think of such a thing. I am a low born..."

"You are not a low born Poonam. You are a Kshatraani(warrior class) just like me. You are free to choose your husband. It's good that you have such a good relationship with him but soon people will start gossiping and it will bring you ill repute. He is a Prince nobody will question him but you are a woman. "