Chapter 47 - Happiness

Poonam opened her eyes finally when Devburman pulled away. She was still breathless.

He looked apologetic " I am sorry I shouldn't have done that. You can leave if you wish and our deal is off! There is no need to visit me anymore."

She looked surprised "A deal is a 2-way thing. I am not breaking it."

It was his turn to look surprised.

"The deal will stay your highness unless you command me to break it. "

She said looking determined, her lips swollen red from his kiss.

She could see a hint of a smile on the corner of his lips. He rarely smiled except, while playing the dizi.

"Ok then what do you want to talk about today? The Palace would be full of gossip !" He said sarcastically.

She pointed at the flute tucked on his waist.

"I just want you to play that."

"Is that all?" He smirked.

"Yes, that is all." She replied.

Sometimes he wondered why she trusted him.

After sometime when he was steadier because of the music he asked her.

"You really don't have any questions?"

"I have several but I am not sure if they would make you feel better or miserable."

"Why not try and see." He replied.

"Why did you leave 6 years ago?" She asked.

"I told you I lost someone dear to me."

"Who was she?"

He paused for a moment "Its a long story.....She was Mrignayani. Prince Shivaditiya's first wife."

Poonam looked at him stunned.

He narrated the event which happened 6 years back. Her eyes grew wide with shock.

He had suffered more than she anticipated.

"I am sorry for your loss your highness."

"It's fine now. I left to become a monk actually, I went to Kashi, Rishikesh, the Himalayas, Tibet, and the west...then everything changed. I saw things that are much beyond cruel. The Barbarian who are invading the Northern Kingdoms will reach us someday. Being united is more important than fighting over petty egos."

He paused.

"It doesn't matter who is the king as long as the realm is safe and happy. By realm, I mean the entire subcontinent. After my return, I tried to convince my father to leave his ambitions but he didn't listen to me. I joined him to keep a check on him. But...it didn't work out in the end. Now my father is going to be executed and I can't do anything."

She placed her hand on his shoulder.

"Why don't you tell this to Maharaj or his Highness?"

"They won't trust me."

"No harm in trying" She replied.

"It's not that easy."

"Can I ask something?" She asked.

He nodded.

"I saw you with some men dressed in black. They didn't seem like normal soldiers, who were they?"

He looked away then at her "what do you think? What I might be planning?"

"I can't judge you, your highness. If I doubted you I would have stopped coming to see you."