Chapter 13 -The pain of separation

Kalavati came running to see Chitrangda and nearly fainted. She hugged her and cried "My darling is back. How are you? Hope that brute didn't ..."

Kirtiveer interrupted her saying, "let her rest Kalavati".

Chitrangda collapsed into her father's arms and sobbed.

"Hush! my baby everything is alright now. You are back. I am not letting you go anywhere now."

Fortunately, nobody grilled her about her stay with the bandits. Her parents had managed to keep it a secret, only a select few knew about it. The maids laid a bath for her and scrubbed her clean. She was dressed in the finest silk. Given a platter of her favourite food which Chitrangda barely touched. She slept for hours.

When she woke up, a strange sense of emptiness surrounded her. She stared morosely at the outline of the mountains from her window.

Somewhere out there was her love Shiv. She wiped a tear that had trickled down her cheeks.

"Your Highness" Chitrangda turned towards the familiar voice.

Poonam stood at her chamber's entrance sobbing quietly.

A flood of relief gushed through Chitrangda as she ran and hugged Poonam.

"I am so glad to see you Poonam, I am so happy that you escaped, I was so worried about you," Chitrangada said quietly. At least there was some saving grace.

" I deserve death, your highness! I am sorry I couldn't protect you. I have no right to live." Poonam cried, droplets of tears fell on Chitra's blouse, disappearing in the rich silk.

Chitrangda released her from her hug and looked at her puzzled.

" What are you talking about? You did nothing wrong".

"You sacrificed your honour to save my life. Why did you choose to go through unimaginable torture just to save me? My life is worthless Princess." Poonam was finally letting go of her guilt.

Chitrangda chuckled.

"Is that what you think happened? Shiv was nothing like that. I was given all comforts fit for a queen, and we didn't..... I mean he never took advantage of me". Chitra replied with a slight flush. It wasn't exactly true. They kissed a few times, but he didnt force it. Chitradgada was an equal party to it.

" So you are..." Poonam asked cautiously.

"Yes! I am still a virgin, pure, nothing happened, if that's what you people are worried about." Chitra replied slightly irritated.

"I am sorry, your highness. I didnt mean to be rude, the queen has been worried....." Poonam mumbled.

Chitra rolled her eyes.

"But princess who is Shiv ?" Poonam asked perplexed.

Chitrangda blushed.

"The bandit who abducted me, but he wasn't like others. He is a man of honour".

"You mean that menacing fellow who leered at us while his men shouted profanities, he was a man of honour? What's wrong with you Princess ?"

Poonam said shocked. This couldn't be, right?

Realization struck Chitra. Those men were disgusting. Then treated her respectfully at the fort. It didnt add up.

"But he wasn't like that in the fort Poonam. He was such a gentleman, his manners, his knowledge. He was almost like some prince."

"Princess do you know what the commander-general found when he was looking for you in the forest ?" Poonam asked.

Chitra looked at her with curiosity and shook her head.

"Bodies of slain men. Almost 20 of them! Those bandits were killed by someone. I think you were not abducted. You were rescued !"

Chitrangda's eyes grew wide in shock. This couldn't be! But then he never said he was a bandit she just assumed him to be so. No wonder he always had that amusing smile whenever she mentioned his nefarious activities.

"Your Highness! Why would a bandit abduct you, not take advantage of you, then release you without ransom ?" Poonam continued.

"I....don't know what to think Poonam. He always evaded my questions. I don't even know how to contact him. Oh! I could do anything just to get a glimpse of him" Chitrangda's eyes teared up.

Poonam hugged her and said, "What have you done Princess. You fell in love with someone else while your fate is tied to another".

Chitrangda sobbed while looking at the outline of the forest, somewhere out there was her love Shiv.

"What should I do Poonam? How am I going to live through this?" She sobbed.

"Your highness, you can't live like this, you are engaged to prince Vikram. You are going to be the Maharani someday. You must forget...." Poonam fumbled for words."Whatever happened, and devote yourself to prince Vikram. Just think of your family's honour. "

"I am aware of my duties Poonam, I have been raised to be Vikram's consort, my entire life. But, it hurts, my chest hurts. I miss him. How to forget him Poonam? What should I do?" Chitra cried.

Poonam was speechless, she had no experience of love, she barely understood love.

"Princess, please keep this a secret. If word gets out, your reputation would be ruined."

Chitra continued staring through the window, thinking morosely about her upcoming nuptials.

****

Somewhere hours away Shivaditya was staring at the beautiful sunset. He was missing Chitra. He was assured that he would easily obtain his father's permission to marry Chitra. But he was running out of time. He had no idea how he would convince Raja Kirtiveer, all he knew that Chitrangada belonged to him.

The soldiers were setting up the camp, near a stream where they had stopped for rest.

"Your tent is ready, your highness," Jayaraj announced quietly.

"Jayaraj? Have you ever been in love?" Shivaditya asked moodily.

Jayaraj looked startled, then gave a slight smile.

"I don't know what to say, your highness. I have been with you all these years. Fighting, our enemies have been my only goal." Jayaraj replied modestly.

"Hmmm, perhaps, you should get a lover yourself," Shivaditya muttered.

Jayaraj just smiled. He had never seen the prince so.....lovelorn, it was amusing.

"How many days are left till the Royal wedding ?" Shiva asked he was impatient.

"The ceremonies will start in 2 days Your Highness!"

"We better be quick then," Shivaditya said, determined.