Chapter 49 - The fight over love

Chitra followed Shivaditya to their room. He was still red and he collapsed on a chair. She couldn't stop laughing at him.

He made a grumpy face and said: "I have never been so embarrassed, and you are laughing."

"Well I can't help it..you look soo..so...shaken."

"Aunty always makes me feel like a little schoolboy." He grumbled.

"She is quite a sweetheart though. She is brash no doubt but she is pretty nice."

"Yeah, she is a dear apart from her tacky conversation."

"Well." Chitra soothed him.

"Well, there's just one way to avoid her, we should run off to that jungle lodge till she goes back."

"That is so rude, She is your aunt. Btw how does she know Vikram's grandmother ?"

"They have a history they don't get along well so she was quite satisfied to know that I nicked away her Future daughter in law."

Chitra was shocked "Really !! I didn't know is it why your two families have a rivalry?"

"No our rivalry is more political and something of an ego issue my great-great-grandfather had run off with Vikram's Great Great Grandfather's sister! There was bloodshed then and it's been going on since."

He pulled her in his lap and said "I would love to retreat with you in that forest lodge again. You know to refresh the old memories" he carelessly ran his hands through her hair.

She ruffled his hair and said "I have to tell you something. While you were away I went to the marketplace with Kamakshi one old woman attacked and cursed at me."

He looked angry " What! why didn't anyone inform me? Did she gets executed?"

"I pardoned her. I asked Maharaj to pardon her" she replied.

"What? Why?" He asked surprised.

"It wasn't her fault. She lost everything in the war which is our creation."

Shivaditya thought about the army of children." I came across something similar as well."

He narrated the entire incident.

"Where is that boy now?" She asked.

"I brought him along, he wanted to join the army. So he will be trained as a soldier."

"That's very sweet of you."

"This also made me think that wars affect the common people most. I agree we cannot go fully demilitarized but the campaign in the south for example. It wasn't required. That made the change in tax rates which enraged the provincial leaders which led to rebellion. Everything action leads to some consequence."

Chitra gave a smug smile. It was the first time that Shivaditya had said something against his father's views. Perhaps he would not be a puppet anymore.

"Shiv I think you should become more active in administration." She said caressing his hair.

"Alright if you insist my lady." He hugged her placing a kiss on her lips.

******

Devburman was standing in front of the cell where Shubhraj was locked up. He coughed to attract his attention.

"Why are you here?" Shubhraj said.

"Father I am sorry you have to go through this," Devburman replied.

"Perhaps I wouldn't be here had you not betrayed me. My son!" he spat angrily.

"I had to do this to save the empire father. It was already clear that I was never interested in being the king. But you never paid attention to my wish."