Chapter Sixty-Three Part I

She Who Unknowningly Reveres

Just for how long must I watch people suffer? How many more deaths must I need to remember for me to become another? How long will all of these turmoils last? Countless deaths, seemingly endless wars, bodies piled up one after another, life by life getting destroyed every passing moment.

And all of those because of what? The right to rule this world? The right to be free? This isn't about the Regular Order nor the Irregular Order anymore. It's about which amongst all should rule, which power should all respect. How much are they willing to ruin before they're satisfied?

The skies were once beautiful blue, vast and free. There was once a magnificent ball of yellow sprung across the horizon for all to see. The rays it gave would enlighten everything at a single touch, it was like a whole scene being spread and it was enthralling. The night was once quiet, with stars gradually blinking in bright jewels beside a pure white moon that guided those which cannot see in the darkness.

Now the sun can no longer be seen. Covered by a monotonous cloud of smoke that painted the skies in both black and gray. There were no more rays, those once beautiful sunlights replaced by the raging fires that waged wherever there is discord. The night was nevermore quiet. There would be screams of both despair and anger that fuelled the existing chaos even more. The moon was never seen ever since then, as well as the stars that once dominated the night.

A gunshot. Then another. Followed by a continuous wave of bullets that penetrated many bodies. There were also clashes of steels echoing across that blaring madness called war. All of those technologies, spells, magic--they all resulted to the entire world becoming in such a pitiful state. Too pitiful and ugly enough that I wished I hadn't been born to see all of these events unfolding like a page from a book turning onto the next. The only difference is that, I can't shut that book close nor I can see what happens from here on.

But I'll live. I'll live even if it kills me.

I'll keep counting the lives that faded, I'll keep remembering the names that probed deep into my existence, and I'll keep moving forward until I survive. No matter how many times my heart had skipped a beat, no matter how many times something inside me yelled that I should just give up--I won't. I can't.

"Soldiers at 12." I warned, immediately turning over the right alley as I pressed my back against the wall.

The others eventually followed, their eyes alerting each other of the possible dangers ahead. I glanced up, the pouring white-coloured ashes beginning to rain down from above. I closed my eyes for a brief moment, gripping the small knife on my right--a small droplet of white ash hitting the bare skin of my wrist and a small area of it turned white, the burning sensation lasting for a few while before completely disappearing.

I looked beside me where four figures stood, each carried their own scrap weapons. "Cover yourselves up." I said, lifting my hand in preparation while they wore their their hoods.

"Erhiel," one whispered, clutching the edge of my cloak. "May mga Legion Soldiers din mula sa likod natin." Despite how he tried to make his voice sound tough, we all could hear it shake.

"Malaking tulong talaga ang detection ability mo, Denma." Charl replied, making himself laugh before this dangerous atmosphere. Then his face turned calm. "Kize, kaya mo pa ba?"

We all gazed to the same girl sitting on the ground, tightly holding her bleeding abdomen. I clenched my fist even more at the sight. Sa una pa lang alam kong delikado  na itong pinasukan namin, pero wala na kaming iba pang pagpipilian, kailangan namin 'tong gawin kung gusto naming mabuhay.