Chapter Thirty-Nine

Even Demons Creep Within the Church's Walls

The World's Organization has been around since ancient times, so it was no surprise how they gather up strong people and make them battle to death until one powerful one is left. It was said that the top twelve were already chosen.

And they were just using the remaining hundreds of contestants to complete tasks and possibly earn a relic. Since the top twelve aren't completed yet according to the scroll, it means they do not want others to know in order to deceive them.

I don't mind not being in that top twelve because I had little interest regarding the World's Battle anyway. I do my own task not because I needed to, but because I had to find Cretian Plains as our past deal concerning the assistance of the Dwarves.

I don't mind being underestimated too, I care too little about what other people think of me. But that moment I found out I was being used, it somehow made my blood boil. I realized how I hated it. It simply means the World's Organization is picking a fight against me and who am I to refuse such a humble challenge?

My mind ran such thoughts as the temperature began to decrease, our footsteps reverberating through the growing silence; making our skin tingle due to the sudden contact of the cold air sweeping along the tunnel spiralling downward.

The lanterns flickered in light as we pass by, it was dim but enough to get ahold of our surroundings

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The lanterns flickered in light as we pass by, it was dim but enough to get ahold of our surroundings. The walls were made out of solid basalt stones layered with slates, though they seem to be expiring with time seeing the small rounded gaps on every little corners.

Small chatterings were heard echoing from down below as I began to sense emotions. There were quite a lot of them, the noise they were making then came to a halt as the sound of the bell rang, engulfing the whole space.

The end of the downward tunnel was a double-door made out of polished, silver iron. It won't open easily no matter how much one pushes since it was placed with a complicated lock magic. I could tell so by the series of lines and patterns inside the magic cirle. This kind of circle cannot be seen by the naked eye unless processed with energy.

"Only the caster can open this—" Finé Weiss' words were cut short when I touched the circle with my finger, glowing at first until it started to shatter. "Or not." She sighed.

"You aren't planning on just barging in, are you?" The Overseer questioned with its usual deep voice.

I pulled the hood on, my brown cloak covering my whole body. "I'll take care of it. You two don't have to interfere." My hand ran through the cold surface of the door. "It'll be difficult for you to take an action now. After all, the organization won't take it lightly knowing you both went against their order."

"I don't trust how you handle things."

"Aren't you an Overseer? Your job is to watch. So watch."