𝟒𝟓. 𝐀 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊

The atmosphere was awkward.

Extremely awkward.

What had been comfortable energy between Aiden and Cara now was replaced by a tension, one that caused them to gulp and move away every time they made eye contact.

Which wasn't much.

Cara had been avoiding him for much of the time Taelyn was gone. And this was perfect for her - she could get the lessons she wanted from Willow, and for the amount of time desired. Before, they had to cut their lessons off short when Aiden or Taelyn texted Cara, wondering where she had gone. Now, Cara stayed over at Willow's for three hours at a time - sometimes more.

It was surprising, she thought, that she had so much willpower to learn how to shoot. Out of all things...she worked hard in this field? But that also could be hardly the truth, Cara worked hard in a lot of other things, as well. She just found it peculiar that she could find interest in this topic.

Willow had grown steadily more impressed with Cara as the hours went by. She didn't think the latter would pick up the gun so easily, but here she was, hitting the dummy almost perfectly after hours of practice.

But Cara was far from perfect. She still had a lot to learn and a lot of hours to practice. Sometimes, it was frustrating. But she kept at it, as this was the only time she could properly practice, and she planned to take full advantage of it.

Now, it was the afternoon of the fifth day. Cara had just gotten back from practice at Willow's, and was now putting her things down and preparing to go upstairs.

"Where are you all the time when you're out?" a silvery-smooth voice rang out, and Cara froze.

"Aiden, we've talked about this. I'm just taking a walk."

"For three and a half hours?"

She sighed. "It's none of your business."

"Don't shut me out, Cara."

"Then how about you give me answers when I ask you?" she swallowed. "What's bothering you? Something is bothering you, and you're shutting me out too."

"I-"

"You know what, that's stupid of me to ask. I said I'd give you time, I'll just go." Cara pushed past him.

He sighed.

She knew she was being unreasonable, but so was he, wasn't he? And she did say she was going to give him time, she was just keeping up with that promise.

God, I'm being a bitch.

_*_

Time flew by fast. Soon, it was the morning of the seventh day - the day Taelyn would be coming back.

Cara was instantly reminded of this as her phone pinged at seven in the morning with a message from Taelyn. She groaned and rolled over with her phone, mumbling something about how the hell her friend was even up this early.

She's probably just excited, knowing her, she concluded as she read the message.

taetae 💅🏻
i'll be back at around one pm today! i'm so sorry that i had to delay the mission, i hope you don't have a grudge with me. we're leaving tomorrow morning asap, i promise. Love you <33

caraaa
no no, i'm not mad, and neither is aiden. i'm looking forward to one o'clock! lyt ♥

Cara sighed, rolling over and deciding that it was late enough to wake up.

_*_

Soon, it was one o'clock, and they were meeting Taelyn with open arms and wide smiles in the mudroom.

"How was your trip? What did you do?" Cara asked excitedly while helping with Taelyn's things.

"It was amazing," Taelyn beamed. "We put posters all around town spreading awareness about the sea turtles, and we went out to the coast with some guides to learn more. It was really cool, I'm glad I got the opportunity to go."

"That's great," said Aiden. "Do you want to take a rest or do you want to eat lunch with us?"

"Lunch, I'm starving," wailed Tae.

Cara rolled her eyes. "You're always hungry."

"Hey! So are you, hmph. I'm going to go upstairs to shower, what are we eating?"

"Probably takeout, I'll order something," replied Aiden, taking out his phone.

A good few minutes passed before they all sat around the table, ripping open the bags from Chick-Fil-A.

"You know where Mint is?" Cara asked Taelyn. "She just told us she was gonna be out, but not for how long."

"Oh yeah, Auntie is out drinking with Jynni," Taelyn said casually.

"Drinking? In the afternoon?" Aiden laughed.

"Definitely something she's done before. Don't be surprised if she doesn't return until later today."

"So, when are we leaving?" asked Cara. "For the mission, I mean."

"Tomorrow morning, if that's okay?"

"That's more than okay."