𝟐𝟗. 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄

"Charissa, please, tell our children..."

"I can't stop itching! What's wrong with me?"

"I'm afraid he has.."

"Doctor! He has what! Doctor!"

"He was found...hanged...."

"Why?"

"His body was unable to adapt to the eczema condition...he ended his own life."

"NO! Charl-"

Cara breathed in and out heavily as she banged her head into the pillow, groaning lowly and wiping the sweat off of her forehead.

It's that nightmare again.

Why won't it stop?

She let out a frustrated exhale, her mocha eyes darting around the room, suddenly paranoid at nothing.

She squeezed her eyes shut, thinking of her favorite couch at home and a crackling, warm fireplace as she breathed in. As the air entered her nostrils, she imagined the mouth-watering smell of hot chocolate, like she was back at her home without a worry in the world. The homey imagination allowed her mind to slowly drop the frantic act, falling back into tranquility as she recollected herself.

What time is it? Cara thought as she picked up her phone.

"6:44 AM." the beady digits read.

Late enough.

Cara looked over at Taelyn's bed. She was still sleeping soundly, snoring softly.

Cara straightened her set of TATA-pattened pajamas and fumbled around for her glasses. Finally shoving them on, she grabbed some scrunchies and tied her hair up into a high bun.

To her surprise, Aiden was already up when she ambled lazily into the kitchen, looking around for Mint or Jynni. It looked like they weren'.t

If they were, I'd be a lot more professional-looking than I am currently, Cara thought, glancing at the clothes she had on that were more suitable for a slumber party than meeting adults.

"You're up early," she commented as she took a seat on one of the kitchen chairs, slightly awkwardly, and adjusting her glasses.

"I couldn't really sleep," replied Aiden. He took a packet of trail mix gingerly off of the pantry shelves and ripped it open. "I'm still kind of getting used to being in this place. It's kinda funny. It's like I'm worried Tae's aunt will come in here screaming for me to put this down."

She laughed. "I guess, me too. Should I be changed?"

"I wouldn't bother. I think Tae's aunt and her friend left to run errands or something. At least, that's what her aunt told me earlier," He explained. "Where is Tae, anyway?" he added as an afterthought.

"She's still sleeping," Cara replied. "Thought I would just let her sleep."

Yesterday, she had fallen asleep from exhaustion around thirty minutes into watching Netflix, so she had gotten decent sleep. Taelyn, on the other hand, probably watched it for a lot longer, Cara reckoned.

"So what are we doing today?" Aiden asked her, nudging her elbow.

She sighed. "Honestly, I'm not sure. Taelyn's the expert."

"I thought you were in charge?" he said, raising his eyebrows. "Remember, this is your mission, Taelyn's just helping."

"Don't say that," she frowned. "She's our friend."

Aiden shook his head. "I didn't mean it like that. I just think you should take more action. Tae's probably tired."

Cara sighed again. "That's probably true. When she wakes up, I'll tell her I'll try to take more action from now on." After a moment of silence, she added, "..and when is Mint returning again?"

"Maybe ten or eleven? Before lunchtime," Aiden replied. "Speaking of lunchtime, how are we going to eat here? I feel kinda guilty asking Mint for everything, especially since our existence here is basically a lie."

Her jaw dropped. "It's not a lie, Aiden."

"Well, if Mint finds out that we've been lying to her, it probably will be," he reasoned. "Anyways, about the eating thing."

"You could try and cook for once."

"Cook? Me?" he repeated incredously. "Have you seen me in the kitchen?"

"Maybe I should teach you," she pretended to think as Aiden laughed.

Cara tried not to dwell on the nightmares she got. Why couldn't she just forget them? And yet, beyond this hatred for the scary dreams, she couldn't help but think.

What if they weren't just dreams?

What if people are dying at the cost of my father?

Am I seeing the future?

Are these premonitions?

Is that even possible?

Her head pounded with all of these thoughts, and she closed her eyes shut, trying to shake away the thoughts as a result of her tiredness and nothing else.

"Cara? Are you o-"

"Yes! Yes, I'm okay, Aiden. You don't have to look after me like a baby every other second. I'm fine..." Cara assured him quickly, before he could even finish asking. Then she realized her snappy tone of voice. "I mean, it's just...iron deficiency working up again."

He narrowed his eyes, cocking his head to the side.

"Hm...okay. Anyways, breakfast."

She relaxed at the change of subject.

"Or do you just want to sleep?"

"I won't be able to go to sleep," she shook her head. "I'm resting on the sofa, maybe ordering breakfast delivery later?"

Aiden nodded. "Please tell me if you need anything. I'll be aimlessly wandering around this house until Taelyn wakes up." He laughed.

Cara offered him a small smile. "Ugh, I feel like I'm being a baby."

He frowned, running a hand through his hair. "In what way?"

She bit her lip in thought. "I mean, honestly, I haven't been a very good friend these days. Like, I've always been on the receiving end and I just want to let you know that I care for you too." She let out a breath, proud of herself for putting aside her romantic feelings and focusing on the platonic ones alone.

"I know," Aiden nodded and pulled her into a hug. "It's okay. This has been stressful on you, and whatever you need, I'll be there."

Is he perfect?

"Thanks," she smiled. "Now let's see what stuff Mint has on her television."