𝟏𝟔. 𝐀𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐈𝐙𝐈𝐍𝐆

The next afternoon after all Cara's classes had finally finished, she found herself typing a message to Aiden.

cara vaughn
can u meet me at the library in 10 minutes?

It was stupid how she had to resolve this problem instead of contributing to the mission on the Itch Gang. Taelyn had excused her from all the meetings until she figured out a way to apologize to Aiden. Cara found it ridiculous that she had to drag time away from the mission at hand because of a petty fight.

Unfortunately, Taelyn wasn't having any of it.

Just then, Aiden walked into the library.

"What did you call me here for?" His voice was flat.

Cara almost - almost - chickened and said "nothing".

"We need to talk," she said, clearing her throat. "Right now."

"Mm." His face and voice remained neutral as he sat on one of the cushioned sofas, ruffling his hair.

Cara took a seat on the sofa across from him."So. Uh...about what happened."

"Mm." He looked disinterested, and Cara felt a thing inside of her, which she found ridiculous, again.

Why are things so ridiculous these days?

"I just wanted to say I'm really sorry, and I was being really stupid, and that I want us to be friends again, because I realized that honestly, fighting over something as petty as this is stupid, and stalling our mission because this is ridiculous, and it's not your fault, and I'm sorry."

The words poured out of her mouth before she had any time to formulate a way to say it in a real sentence.

Aiden's face changed immediately from bored and mundane to slightly surprised. His eyes widened and his lips parted, his face taking on the expression of a baby puppy.

Cara bit her lip, finding it endearing. Then, she remembered what she was here for in the first place.

"....Waiting...."

"Thank you for apologizing."

Cara waited.

Nothing.

"That's all?!" she said, her mouth agape.

Aiden grinned.

Cara blinked. "....Care to tell me what's so funny, or -?"

Aiden rolled his eyes. "You found out me and Taelyn weren't actually dating or kissing or whatever?"

Cara stood up defensively. "Yeah, no need to remind me of that."

He stood up and walked over to her side of the coffee table. "Good."

"Can we be friends?" said Cara, a hopeful smile tugging on her lips.

"Yes." He hugged her.