14- Damage Control

Y/n's P.O.V

I didn't sleep all night. I thought that ignoring Tom would be the best thing to do, which is what I did when he texted me but I knew it wouldn't work. I would see him, I would eventually have to talk to him.
I got out of bed at around 4:30 a.m and made myself a cup of tea. I decided to go to the Holland's house, through the back door because I had the key to it. I didn't want to disturb them as they would probably be asleep at this time. But I knew Tom was awake.
I slipped on my converse and put on a jacket as it was cold outside.
There was heavy fog covering everything in the neighborhood. I snuck in through the back door, slowly closing it. I tip-toed into the kitchen and saw Tom sitting at the table, his head in his hands.
I walked towards him, silently and gently placed my hand on his shoulder.

Tom's P.O.V

"Y/n, wh-what are you doing here, so early?" I asked as Y/n sat down beside me.
"I-I had to talk to you about what happened." she said, looking down.
Her eyes were red and puffy from all the crying and her voice was husky and broken.

I really fucked up, didn't I?

"I texted you-"
"I know." she cut me off,"I know you texted me and I thought ignoring you would do some damage control but, but I knew that I eventually had to talk to you and I couldn't sleep at all, thinking about all that happened and I had to see you."
I softly held her chin and lifted it so that our eyes would meet.
"I love you." I mumbled, nervously.
Y/n's eyes lit up. It was like those three words were all that she needed to hear. Her lips broke into a wholesome smile.
"I love you,too." she said, shyly.
"I know, we're not together but Y/n I've wanted to say this to you for the longest time. When you said whatever you yesterday, my heart almost skipped a dozen beats. I-I couldn't believe you had said those things to me." I let out a small chuckle.
"I mean, yeah- that's how I feel. That's how I have felt for almost 2 years now, Tom."
"2 years? That's a long time Y/n. Why didn't you say anything?" I asked, genuinely surprised.
"Most of the time, I didn't even realise that I was in love with you. And c'mon, you're Tom Holland, the Tom Holland. You could have any girl you want. Why would you like me?" she said, shrugging and chuckling.
"But that's the thing, Y/n. I don't want any girl. I want you."

Y/n's P.O.V

"But that's the thing,Y/n, I don't want any girl. I want you."
I smiled as the butterflies took over me again.
"D-do you really mean that?" I asked, smiling sheepishly.
"Of course." Tom replied.
"So what do we do now?"
"I don't know, to be honest." Tom replied, laughing.
"Look, Tom this could be great. We could be great..." I trailed off, my smile disappearing,"...but you're an actor and you're in America most of the time and I have school. So the chances of us actually working out are..are pretty low. And I don't want to hold you back or hurt you." I said, trying to hold back my tears.
I could see the sadness in Tom's beautiful hazel eyes. I knew that I was making a total bitch move but I had to, if I wanted to save him and myself from heartbreak.
"W-what are you trying to say?" Tom's voice breaking as he talked.
"I think we should just stay friends." I answered his question.
I couldn't even look him in the eye. I could understand the pain he was in. I was going through it too.
"I-I'm sorry Tom. But it's the best thing to do."
He nodded, tears streaming down his face.
I wiped them away, tenderly taking his face into my hands.
"We're still gonna be friends." I said, trying to reassure him.
"But we both want more. You know it." he said.

I did. Of course, I wanted more. But I had to do what was best for both of us. And that was just being friends. Right?

"I have to go. I'll uh- I'll talk to you later." I said and got up and out of the house.

Now that was damage control.