37- Moving on

y/e/c: your/eye/colour

Y/n's P.O.V

My heart skipped a beat, more like a million beats when I saw Tom standing at the door. It had been a while since I'd last spoken to him or seen him and I didn't even get time to prepare myself for any of this. I wasn't ready for all the feelings that came rushing back. The love I felt for him, which I thought I was over, came back, stronger than ever. I wasn't ready for the butterflies that swarmed me or how my heart could just flutter out of my chest. I couldn't just freeze there, I had to do something. I had to move, or even say a thing or two but my brain just kind of diconnected from my body. Ugh fuck my brain.

"Y/n! Y/N!" Gary yelled.
"Y-Yes. Y-Yeah." I replied and went back behind the counter, my eyes still on Tom.
Wait, was he frozen as well?
Shit.

"You okay?" Gary raised his eyebrow.
"Um y-yeah."
I glanced at the door once more. He wasn't standing there anymore. I looked back and saw him settle down on the a small sofa in the corner.
"Ain't that the Spider-Man boy?" Gary asked.
"Um h-he is?" I tried to sound surprised.
"Oh yeah he is. My girls are obsessed with him." he chuckled.
I felt this fire starting to burn in me, making me clench my jaw. Yep, I was getting jealous.
But it's not like Tom would go for them right?
Of course not.
"I, uh, I'll go clean t-the bathroom." I rubbed my neck.
"Haha no need for that. I cleaned it yesterday. Go take the Spider-Man's order yeah?"
"Oh um oh-kay."
I pursed my lips and approached Tom. He saw me, obviously and gave a small smile.
"H-Hey." he said.
"Hi. Ready to order?" I fake smiled.
"Um one large cappuccino and a-a crossiant."
I chuckled lightly hearing the way he pronounced 'crossiant'.
"Alright."

Tom's P.O.V

Fuck it. Fuck everything I said about getting over Y/n. The moment I laid my eyes on her again, it became clear. I was always in love with her, her gorgeous
y/e/c eyes, her contagious smile, angelic voice...all of it. I loved being in love with her, like it was all I needed. It's true what they say about love, that once you start, you get addicted to it, like a drug. I froze, taking her in, the first time in months. She moved away, making me do the same and find a seat on a small couch in the corner.

After a while, Y/n came up and asked for what I wanted. I hoped to talk a little, you know, how she was, how things were going. But apparently she didn't want to. Maybe she'd moved on.

"Your order." Y/n put down the cup of coffee and plate with the crossiant.
"Thanks." I pursed my lips, "Y/n d-do you like maybe wanna catch up, later?"
She looked down, fiddling with her fingers.
"I get off at 8." she smirked.
"Okay." I grinned.

Y/n's P.O.V

"I'll see you back at the dorm." Ashley said before heading out.
"Sure thing." I nodded.
Gary had given me the responsibility to close up, something I get to do every once in a while. Everybody had left except Tom. He was still in the café, now using the washroom.
"You'll be okay yeah?" Gary asked.
"Oh yeah I'll be fine.
"And uh make sure that boy gets out...he's been in here for a while." he chuckled.
"Mhmm gotcha."
" 'Kay, good night."
"Night."

I wiped down the last table and saw Tom , staring at me.
"What?" I laughed.
"Nothing." he giggled, "Just admiring you."
"Admiring your ex girlfriend, not creepy and obsessive at all." I rolled my eyes.
"Hey you're still wearing that necklace I gave you a gazillion years ago."
"I did this as a sweet gesture and good timing with the washroom otherwise Gary would've kicked you out."
"I am great at that." he scoffed.
"His daughters are obsessed with you. I can set you up, you'll get yourself maybe two girlfriends." I smirked.
"Pfft never."
"Why, Holland? You have to move on you know." I turned off the lights in the storeroom.
"Dinner?" he changed the topic.
"Sounds good. I'm starving."

Tom's P.O.V

"You still haven't answered my question, Tom." Y/n said as we walked along the pavement, having ice cream.
"I've moved on." I lied.
"Really?" she smirked again. She's been smirking a lot.
"Yeah. Haven't you?"
"I'm trying this new thing where I'm honest with every one so I don't get why you shall be an exception. I, I don't think I have...moved on." her happy face turned into a more serious one as she looked down.
Blood rushed up to my cheeks when I heard those words escape her mouth. God, I wanted to kiss her, so bad. I wanted to tell her how I actually felt, so bad. But I'd be stupid to do so. Maybe we'd get back together but eventually we would have to break up and that'd end with both of us getting hurt. I wouldn't want that, not again.
"We're friends now. That should count for something." I tried to change the topic.
The rest of the night was just awkward trips down memory lane and talking about our lives. I told her about my new project while she talked about NYU and an upcoming program that she had been selected for.  But Y/n seemed a bit distracted throughout all of it.

The night ended with me dropping Y/n off at campus and driving back to the hotel.
It felt good.
It felt good to have Y/n back...
              even if it was as a friend.