Chapter 6

A few months have passed since Karna became caretaker of Kauravas; he didn't take holiday as he too began enjoying spending time with kauravas. Since he was getting paid after he separated a portion of money that he donated to those who were in need. He has the reputation of “Karna” to hold upto and charity does give him peace and comfort but he hasn't pledged like Karna so that others could benefit or cheat from him. He gave rest to his mother who either used them or saved some for him. As she is aware his son just gives away everything after his surya pooja but surprisingly he always has something to give. His life was very peaceful at the moment and he did enjoy the peace. He was happy with the slow progress he had made. His bonds with Kauravas did increase. He has started scriptures reading and encourages any discussion about it. He never outright tells them they are wrong but through stories he makes them understand why and where they went wrong. To develop their thinking process and problem solving he began giving them riddles and puzzles, he even gave out prizes and praises for those able to answer but he also made others understand the logic behind it. They were children and having competitive quality is good but it should not spoil their unity. He loves their childishness, bubbliness, naughtiness and innocence. They opened up with him and shared their insecurities and hurt they felt by neglect of their own family but he was helpless at that and told them to keep improving if someone was showing them their fault. But still they are children and it was too much for them to bear this but he could do nothing but show his support to them. He didn't know when became too attached to them. He knew he had garnered the attention of royalty too and could sense the spies lurking beside but he hadn't done anything wrong so till they didn't hurt him or his family he would pretend to be unaware of their presence.

Changes in Kauravas didn't go unnoticed by any elder in the palace, though pleased they didn't know how to feel such changes so suddenly but they have iking and suspicions that it was because of a new caretaker. They were surprised when he lasted for more than 10 days but were glad that there were no shenanigans throughout the palace. They did spend a lot of time with an outsider but they ignored them as always but their changes are something they couldn't ignore. They became much calmer and respectful. They showed intelligence that the elders never knew they had. They matured far too much in a short time. They spent most of their time in Sahodar Bhavan with their caretaker who seemed to gain their love and respect. They began waking up early and with their mother they too began going to temple after that when they return the spent time going through scrolls till breakfast and immediately after breakfast the rush to Sahodar Bhavan and stays there till lunch and developed a habit of taking bath before lunch but maids have told them it was because their clothes were soaked in sweat and immediately after lunch they rush to Sahodar Bhavan where they stay till evening and after coming out they again went to chamber of Suyodhana which was now filled with scrolls and their they spend time till dinner . After that they spend time with their mother and then go to sleep. This routine continued and attracted the attention of the elders.

The eldest in the family wife of late King Shantanu, Maharani satyavati, didn't knew what to feel about the changes of her great grandsons, it was welcoming change but still words of Vidhur about eldest son of current reigning King would bring downfall ro Kuruvansh rang through her head same could be said about her daughter in laws. Bhishma on the other hand was very pleased with the current behavior of sons and lone daughter of Dhritarashtra. He didn't know what magic the son of Adhiratha did to them but he was not complaining. He tried to gain information about him but came to know he truly was the child of Adhiratha and his wife. He spent his entire childhood in Hastinapur and never set foot outside. He was also a little famous in Hastinapur in helping the needy. All in all he couldn't find any problem in him but something about him bugged him but he ignored it seeing him doing his duty very well. Dhritarashtra was also very pleased because he saw his son becoming able Yuvraj of Hastinapur. Gandhari was the only one who knew everything but didn't disclose anything. She knew the new caretaker though was very knowledgeable and intelligent but was of suta caste, while she didn't have any problem and even thankful to him in bringing her children closer to her but others may not like that. She saw the love and respect her children have for him and he too seemed to love them. From him they were getting acceptance, love, care and pampering they were craving for a long time. They adore him and to them he was the most intelligent and strong person. She wanted to meet him but reigned in her desire because it could do a lot of damage. Vidhur himself was very surprised and shocked by the changed behavior of Kauravas and knew the person behind it but not the way he achieved it. He didn't like the presence of someone unknown and sent his spies after him but like Bhishma he didn't find anything so he didn't confront or meet him because he knew his actions could be perceived in the wrong way. Through spies he became aware of who the new caretaker was but there was nothing unusual about him; he was a famous child in Hastinapur too. His description surprised him too, so from afar he did see him but he was glowing of Dharma and there is not a shred of evil in him. He could just let the matter go.

Today at breakfast elders seemed to have decided to bring out the topic and meet the new caretaker,

Satyavati: Suyodhana, we want to meet your new caretaker.

Her words stopped the moving hands of Kauravas and they together looked at her calculatively as if trying to scan for her objective and see if she wanted to separate him from them. Suyodhana gas his eyebrows raised if it was before he would have thrown tantrums but he was a lot calmer and logical than before. Satyavati and others were perturbed by their gazes. She saw how it was a gaze one used to judge the motives of strangers; she couldn't believe her great-grandchildren were looking at her for a stranger who they met a few months ago. Elders were very surprised because they too were under scrutiny for five and four year old kids and it sure wasn't comfortable.

Bhishma: Is there a problem, Suyodhana?

Suyodhana : No, I was just surprised by the sudden interest of  par-pitamahi in our caretaker. May I ask why is everyone so keen to meet him?

Royal etiquette was what they learnt from childhood, especially how to address elders. It was Karna who made him understand not to be hot headed in situations that were not familiar with keeping his calm and ask whatever they want politely. Anger and brashness would result in making the situation unfavorable for them through one of his stories. He and his brother took stories and lessons very seriously because to make them understand Vasusen played various scenarios and examples from day to day life to make them understand he wasn't talking gibberish or things completely unrelated to their situation. It was why they loved him because he made them understand rather than others who just ignored them, berated them or pointed out their mistakes. They were children and wanted someone to take time for them and Vasusen was that elder to them. His siblings were silently listening to him and nodding. Elders didn't know how to feel, this wasn't the word or reaction they were expecting but the calmness and politeness of Suyodhana despite him questioning them back instead of getting angry is making them more uncomfortable while Gandhari was happy how her eldest were being respectful. She knew she had to intervene before the situation escalated and turn something completely different. It was also chance for her to see one responsible for great change in ger children,

Gandhari: Nothing like this child we thought of meeting one who is taking care of you all so well.

Dushala: Yes, Bharata Vasusen is the best . He is even teaching me painting and singing and I want to learn Veena playing from him too.

His brothers looked at her with wide eyes. It was them who started calling him such in private, even Suyodhana called him this only in private formality only when others were present. Elders were shocked by the address.

Vidhur : Bharata!!!

Suyodhana : Yes, he is taking care of us and elder to us, so how else are we supposed to address him?

Vidhur : But he is a Suta, Rajkumar and he is just doing his job and getting paid for it?

Suyodhana : Your point Kakashree, kaki sugandha and kaka Sanjay is also doing jobs and getting paid but you never stopped us from addressing them such so how is Bharata Vasusen any different?

Elders don't know how to put it because with others it was formal greeting but Vasusen, the children truly seemed to accept him as such. Suyodhana even had an edge in his voice which held a challenge to them. Dhritarashtra was unbothered by anything,

Dhritarashtra: You are right Suyodhana. Well we just want to meet him to express our satisfaction towards him. He is really doing his job very well. He should be awarded for it.

Kauravas' mood suddenly lit up, they were afraid that elders would stop them meeting Bharata Vasusen but with words of their Pitashree nothing like that was going to happen. Their change wasn't unnoticed by everyone and they understood the reason behind it.

Suyodhana: He would be arriving Pitashree, you all can meet him after breakfast if you all have free schedule for it

Dhritarashtra : We have no imperative work as of now and court is scheduled a little later. I think it will be ample time to meet him. Isn't it everyone?

Everyone agreed with him, they are getting very curious to meet this person. They never tried to because of several reasons but today it became very important to meet a person who has such an influence on Kauravas. The meeting is decided to be held in the common meeting chamber where family meetings usually take place. After breakfast they went and the children were told to be in Sahodar Bhavan as the elders wanted to meet Vasusen alone.