Chapter 7

Karna who reached the palace and went to Sahodar Bhavan unaware of his pre-decided meeting. He as usual saw the Kauravas and smiled. They exchanged greetings but Suyodhana told him of the meeting, Karna wasn't very surprised because he was expecting such a meeting . He wasn't very surprised, he heard the children say how he would be rewarded he just smiled at their enthusiasm. He told them to perform Asana and do meditation if he took some time to arrive back. The children nodded and began their process while he came outside and saw a soldier was there he bowed to him and motioned him to show him directions, he followed him and soon came to the door of the chamber. Soldier went inside and told him to wait after sometime he came back and told him to enter.

On the other side of the door , everyone in the royal family along with the most trusted aides of Dhritarashtra and Gandhari, Sanjay and Sugandha were there. The discussion was going on. Bhishma and Vidhur informed everyone of what they knew of Karna. They were surprised there was nothing extraordinary but he sure wasn't ordinary. His looks added more to the mystery of the son of an ordinary suta couple. Then a soldier came and informed them of the arrival of one they were waiting for, they immediately told him to send him in. The soldier went out but those who could see had their eyes fixed on the door while Gandhari told Sanjay to describe Vasusen to them. She had heard from her children he was a very good looking child in fact they even said he was the most handsome person they ever saw.

Karna entered the door and Sanjay began telling Dhritarashtra and Gandhari how he looked. He told them the upcoming youth was six feet tall and had long arms, expanded shoulders and a broader chest. He has a lithe yet muscles filled physique. He has a beautiful face with big lotus shaped orange brownish eyes. His face had the glow of the sun itself and adorned with Kundala he was like a manifestation of the sun itself. Despite being in common clothes he was extremely handsome with an aura of purity around him and wisdom beyond his years in his eyes. He was stepping towards them with neither slow nor fast but steady steps. He even said by no means he looks like of Suta origin. None present there could disagree with him but two experienced eyes saw something that he missed, they saw the grace with which he was walking fearlessly among royals of Hastinapur with calm and neutral expression, there was not an ounce of awe, fear and hesitation in him. They had to agree if the upcoming young man was told to be a prince they would agree without hesitation. These eyes belong to Satyavati and Bhishma who have seen more people than anyone present there but there was something unique about this young man. There are eyes with scrutiny seeing every detail of Karna's movement to decipher him but wasn't able to because he couldn't find anything different but there is a familiarity in his movements that he was unable to recollect where he has seen. Gandhari was amazed by the description while Dhritarashtra himself was astonished. They were happy the young man was taking care of children.

Karna too was observing everyone in the room, he was aware who was who through Kauravas but it was the first time he was seeing them up close. He saw they each were looking at him and noticing him every moment but he was not bothered by it nor was he scared of their scrutiny. He saw the former queens of Hastinapur and Rajmata Satyavati was as impressive as it was told she was beautiful and because she held experience of being a reigning queen she had aura of authority in her, but two her daughter in laws didn't have her aura of sharpness. He has met Bhishma before and there is nothing different than before except his gazes were more calculative, same could be said of Mahamantri Vidhur but Maharaj and Maharani had happy expressions he didn't know why.

Karna: Pranipat Maharaj, Maharani, Rajmataon, Mahamahim and Mahamantri. I am Radhey Vasusen.

Everyone : Kalyan ho, Vatsya.

Dhritarashtra: Vasusen, we called here to reward you. We appreciate what you have done and are doing for my children. Ask something you desire, Vatsya.

Karna : I am doing what I am supposed to do, Maharaja. It is my job to do so. There is no need for reward.

Gandhari: But you deserve a reward, Putra. You have done your job exceptionally well.

Karna : I didn't do anything extraordinary Maharani, it was the effort of all the princes and princesses. I am happy with the stipulation provided to me.

Karna's voice held a respect now which seems more genuine unlike the greetings or when answering the King which was noticed by some but didn't show it on their faces.

Vidhur : Vasusen, can you tell us the way you take care of all the Rajkumar and Rajkumari. They have changed so much that we are very surprised.

Karna : Of course I can, Mahamantri. This is no secret. After the greetings we start by light yoga asanas and then meditation. After this they talk and they discuss what they have read the previous day. It goes on till lunch. After lunch they came back to play games and I helped Rajkumari in progressing in painting, then after that either I told them a story or gave them puzzles. It concludes my time with them.

Everyone was surprised at the schedule, there was nothing out of the ordinary but it led to such changes. Only the sharp minds of Satyavati, Bhishma and Vidhur thought the things were not simple as they appear to be.

Satyavati : Would it hinder your job if we see them with ourselves?

Karna : You are most welcome Rajmata, they would love it if you spent time with them.

It was politely worded slap making them remember how they neglected the Kauravas. Satyavati didn't said anything but understand the hidden meaning. She looked at the young man in front of her. He wasn't as simple ashe appeared to be. He was bold and outspoken but he carefully hid his meaning beneath the web of words. The slightly dull witted would just won't understand but he knew this room has people with sharp intellect but still dared to say this. It shows his boldness and care of children.

Satyavati : Okay then today I will spend time with them along with you. Whoever is free can join.

Karna : As you wish Rajmata. Now do I have permission to leave. Princes would be alone in Sahodar Bhavan.

Everyone nodded, Karna bowed again and left. Royal family was still there,

Satyavati : Bhishma, Vidhur..What do you think of him?

Bhishma : I don't know what to say, Mata but I can say he is loyal and dedicated to his work. He has no greed any other person could have asked for anything.

Vidhur : He is very intelligent and knowledgeable as well. He spoke very little and answered what we asked but no one could pick any faults in his words.

Dhritarashtra: Why does this matter? He is taking good care of children and doing his job. Moreover, we know of his parentage and he never stepped outside of Hastinapur. He is a little famous too so he can't be a spy.

Vidhur : He may be planning something different altogether by sticking close to all the princes.

Ambika : Vidhur, just because of your speculation we couldn't remove him from job. You have seen how children are close to him.

Satyavati : That is why I asked for this. Now someone from us would daily accompany him and children in Sahodar Bhavan, especially the ladies. 

Everyone thought it was a good solution and through this they can keep a closer eye and take measures if something was going on. Ladies immediately left for Sahodar Bhavan while gents went on for their duties. Women reached Sahodar Bhavan as they saw the Kauravas doing asanas while Karna went around correcting them, they looked at them and bowed. Ladies smiled and told them they were here just to see. Children were happy the elders came to see them so with renewed enthusiasm they began doing everything. After asna it was time for meditation where like before Karna was going around helping and making sure. After that there was discussion or more like doubt solving. The princes went to Karna with different things they didn't understand. Karna made them sit in circles and discuss among them and if they couldn't come to conclusions he helped. The ladies were amazed and soon they joined the discussion too. The children became even more happy. Then lunch time arrived. The children went to have a bath while the ladies went to serve. After the lunch they again gathered, four ladies today accompanied Dushala so Karna was free to help boys. Then today was story time so his dramatic and theatrical style he told them a story and asked about the moral of stories. Four ladies were very impressed, in fact they loved his story telling very much. Gandhari was very happy spending more time with her children. Satyavati rewarderd Karna with gold coins for his story and informed him he should expect them daily.