Chapter 40

Drupad's sudden announcement has caused an earthquake which shook everyone present there. They were all flabbergasted and were looking at Drupad with utmost bewilderment, everyone except Krishna of course who set things in motion. Even Draupadi and Dristadhyum were unaware of them having any sibling let alone an elder sister.

Suyodhana felt as if Drupad was playing a game here,

Suyodhana: Maharaj Drupad, what are you saying? Are you trying to play us? Nobody seems aware of you having any daughter and If you have an unmarried elder daughter then how could you even arrange swayamvar for your younger daughter?

Suyodhana's question resonated with all the participants and unaware humans in the swayamvar.

Drupad (snorted): Yuvraj Suyodhana, how dare you to imply that I am lying. I do have another daughter that is older than my putri Draupadi. Also which daughter's swayamvar I arrange is up to me.

Suyodhana: Maharaj Drupad, I don't wish to implore you on the topic of whether you have a daughter or not but You can't just announce you will marry off your elder daughter in swayamvar of younger daughter, it's just not right.

Drupad: Why isn't it right? She is my daughter so she is Panchal Kumari and as far as I know Magadhraj has accepted the invitation of Panchal Kumari, he did in fact let messenger tell the information of my putri Draupadi so it's not that I am cheating him or anything.

As Drupad said this Suyodhana and almost everyone turned towards Karna who just nodded indicating that what Drupad was saying was right.

Karna himself was in quite a delicate situation here, he really wasn't interested in getting married but now matter is way beyond his hands and he didn't know what would be the result of this sudden accident. The situation was such that now the reputation of a lady could be ruined if he stepped back from this marriage. He really didn't want that and definitely not to Shikhandini of all people. He really doesn't want to be the reason for her trauma to be relieved by her.

Suyodhana on the other hand was stumped because he knew Drupad had found a loophole and with complete confidence he could see that Krishna was behind this incident and situation. There is a reason Suyodhana believes him as a trickster despite the fact he was the brother of his teacher Sri balram.

Seeing the Yuvraj of hastinapur deflated, Drupad again regained his confidence and arrogance,

Drupad: Yuvraj Suyodhana, what happened? Why are you quiet suddenly?

Suyodhana who was never known for reigning his anger immediately was agitated and spoke,

Suyodhana: It's not that I have become silent but Maharaj where is the daughter you speak off?

Drupad: Don't worry yuvraj, I assure you that she is here only but before calling her I would like to have words of assurance from Magadhraj that he would definitely marry her.

Karna looked at Drupad and saw his smirk, he really was hating the guy not because he was forced to marry but because he could understand Drupad was using Shikhandini as a pawn to get the most out of her marriage. Still as the situation is he couldn't really deny,

Karna: Maharaj Drupad, you have my word as long as Rajkumari Shikhandini has her consent to this marriage I will marry her. 

This wasn't an attempt to evade the marriage but the morality of Karna that he would definitely not force this situation onto Shikhandini.

Drupad: Are you saying that, as my daughter wouldn't comply with what I asked of her or are you playing with words so that you could have a chance to break away from this marriage.

Karna was usually a calm and collective person who rebukes only when necessary and the situation has definitely asked for it. He would not take such words from a scum like Drupad.

Karna: Mind your words Maharaj Drupad, do you assume me as someone like you or your associates who pawn off women for your benefits and motives. I may be a suta but I am definitely proud of it seeing how being kshatriya can make anyone insensitive towards women.

Karna words were a direct slap to Drupad who was definitely enraged but once he looked in the direction of Karna who was utterly furious fear began permeating remembering who he was mocking in first place.

Krishna immediately spoke up to calm the situation down, he also understood the underlying message that Karna had spoken about him as well but he really couldn't blame him. This is what he proposed and it's quite insensitive especially for elder panchal princess,

Krishna: Calm down Magadhraj, such words are not necessary on auspicious occasions. We should call for Princess Shikhandini to know her consent. I hope it's alright with you Magadhraj.

Karna could only nod, he had to control his emotions perfectly so that such slip up didn't happen but what can he say he just didn't like the power hungry and selfish mentality of Drupad period.

Krishna was going to tell a soldier to bring Shikhandini on stage but suddenly everyone saw a figure walking through the entrance of sabha with a huge garland in hands. It was quite strange for most people because the figure that was walking was a soldier who had his entire body covered from head to toe except eyes. But nobody could get a peek of their eyes.

Draupadi was surprised to see her bodyguard coming there. Dristadhyum was also confused. Drupad was indifferent he didn't like Karna neither he liked his failures of daughter but one thing definitely bugged him that was the garland which was definitely familiar but he can't remember where have he seen it?

It was Krishna who had exaggerated expression on seeing the garland because he understands the implications of it. In fact the Avatar of lord Vishnu was quite unsettled since he himself accidentally proposed the idea of Karna marrying an elder panchal princess who he remembered now is the reincarnation of Amba born for death of gangaputra.

Shikhandini came to the stage and the first person he looked at was not her family members but Krishna who stepped back seeing the rage in her eyes. Shikhandini turned towards Karna. She remembered the stranger she talked to not too long before. Never in her life did she ever think the situation would turn out to be like this.

Shikhandini: I am ready for this marriage but I have two conditions for it.

Everyone who was unaware of the identity of the so-called soldier was once again utterly astonished by the revelation and words spoken by Shikhandini.

Suyodhana was going to jump in anger but at this moment Ashwatthama controlled him. Surprised Suyodhana looked at Ashwatthama who just pointed his finger. Confused, Suyodhana followed the directions of finger only to be shocked seeing his dear Bharata Vasusen was looking at the newly revealed princess with a soft expression which he has never seen except for the females whom his bharata consider family. He raised his eyebrows in amusement and confusion regarding how the princess ever evoked such an expression from Bharata Vasusen who is known for avoiding ladies.

Nobody spoke knowing this was between the elder panchal princess and Magadhraj. But as usual there was a person there who was very unhappy. He was none other than the so-called father of bride and King of southern panchal Drupad.

Drupad: Shikhandini, how dare you? You are my daughter and you will do as I say without any objection or condition otherwise I forsake you as my daughter.

Shikhandini wasn't surprised getting this ultimatum from Drupad in fact she already was aware this would happen but now she really was too emotionally distraught to care. This decision was definitely not impulsive, impulsive is what just happened before she made this decision. In a few moments a lot happened with her which made her decide to do this.

Flashback.....