Parallel Universe

✖️✖️✖️✖️

Skye walked down the stairs that leads to a dim room as she came face to face with a familiar spiky haired man. He smiled and started, "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes."

Skye's jaw flexed some as she watched him and then finally spoke up, "Why'd you fake your death fifteen years ago?"

"I-" Douglas began reluctantly, "It was to put my plan into action."

"What's that exactly? Making more bionic kids to sell?" Skye replied.

"You want to know the real reason on why I did what I did? My brother would've took all of the credit like he always does." Douglas commented, his hands placed over his hips, "That bionic robot would've been his glory, not ours- not mine and not yours."

"I didn't care about the glory or the spotlight or whatever. You know what I did care about? Us. You were my family, my safe place... my home..." Skye admitted bitterly, "And you betrayed that like it meant nothing."

"If I had to redo that day over again, I would do the same thing, except I would've tried harder with you, on us." Douglas replied while dropping his hands but kept his eyes on her.

Skye nodded slowly and sadly murmured, "We could've been enough."

Douglas then nodded also and started to reach out to her with his hand but was electrocuted by the invisible cell. He quickly withdrew his hand and dropped it back down at his side, still watching the woman.

"Skye-"

"We're done."

Douglas looked at her sadly and continued anyway, "I meant what I said. There hasn't been a day that I haven't thought about you. I do still love you."

Skye turned around and started to walk away until he called after her, "Skye." She stopped in her tracks but kept her back facing him.

"We'll see." Skye murmured barely above a whisper.

"It's true, and so will be every word I say to you for the rest of my life." Douglas replied, "I'm not asking for forgiveness... I just want to help you. And I hope you'll come back."

Skye moved back over to the stairs and walked up them, leaving out of the dim room while shutting the vault door behind her.

Anxiety gripped at her heart as she quickly raced to the bathroom and locked the door behind her, covering her mouth from crying with both of her hands.

Her breaths were now shaky and uneven as she slid down the wall and sat down on the floor, her knees slightly to her chest.

Skye didn't want to see him again and had hoped that she wouldn't see him ever again, but that didn't exactly work out as she had hoped.

The room began to tremble as Skye squeezed her eyes shut tightly, trying to stop the tremors but couldn't do it. She dropped her hands by her sides on the floor, quickly breathing in and out.

Skye stood back up numbly and looked at her reflection in the mirror and back at the door, the tremors seeming to grow some more.