Chapter 1: Unwritten

Elliot

It's a wild world.

When I was born, the hospital ran a standard blood test to determine which type of werewolf I was. Being the son of both warrior parents, there was a high expectation that I'd follow in their footsteps.

Surprise, surprise: my test came back positive for omega.

My parents demanded another exam, claiming it couldn't be right. Neither one of them had omegas in their families, so it was impossible for me to be one. There's gotta be an error of some kind in the lab.

There wasn't. It turns out that if both your parents carry recessive genes, their child can 'win' the genetic lottery and be born a 'tad' different than expected. They were so disappointed by this.

It's impossible to describe being a disappointment to your parents by simply being born. Fortunately, my parents decided - once they got over the initial shock - that this tiny detail shouldn't be an impediment for me to be anything I wished.

They are both warriors. And warriors never give up, they persevere.

They decided that they'd raise me to be anything I set my sights on, including being a warrior like them should I want to, even though our pack doesn't allow omegas to become warriors. They say we're too 'weak' and that our heat can distract the other wolves from their duties.

Yeah... I know, right?

My parents were well aware of the stakes for me to succeed. Not to say that omegas can't have fulfilling lives, they can. In our pack, for instance, I know several who live great lives with their mates and families. There are ones mated to warriors, to prominent members of the pack. They all live comfortably and safely.

But it's not always the case.

Unfortunately, omegas can't predict when they go on heat and once they do, it attracts all sorts of unwanted attention to themselves. Especially in high school with a bunch of horny teenagers. It's horrifying to report that some omegas get sexually assaulted, leading them to have unmated pregnancies and get shunned from the pack.

Male or female, an unmated pregnancy is the biggest taboo in werewolf society of any pack. And more often than not, those omegas get rejected by their mates and end up living under terrible conditions with a pup to sustain and no help from the child's father, who doesn't acknowledge them whatsoever.

It's horrible. Some packs are worse. In some small minded circles, omegas get rejected by their mates unceremoniously. And I am talking about the ones who manage to remain virgins until mated. Those who don't are ostracized and sometimes expelled altogether.

It's like we don't live in the 21st Century for some werewolves. It's ridiculous. Omegas are people too and they deserve everything anyone else has.

However, knowledge is power. And since my parents knew of how omegas could be treated, they raised me completely aware of my circumstances but also to defy the odds and prepare me for anything. Good or bad.

They certainly wouldn't raise anyone to be defenseless.

On the contrary, since I could walk I started training. My parents made sure I wasn't gonna be weak or a victim of any kind. They prepared me for the worse that life had to offer.

Started with martial arts, then hand to hand combat, self defense, you name it, I've trained it.

By the time I was 15, I had a black belt in Karate and Jujitsu. Not to mention, I have hit the gym every single day since way before I first shifted into wolf at puberty. And once I did, my parents made me train harder than ever because I could heal faster.