Chapter 7: Light My Fire

Elliot

I got too confident.

That's the only explanation for that turd winning against me. I got too confident and let him beat me.

Damn it!

Anyway, it's not a competition. I just needed to humble him a bit - though that seems like a mission impossible now that I come to think of it.

But that's not important. The only relevant thing is that I'm part of the wrestling team and no one can distract me from my objective to become a warrior.

Plus, I have a date to go on. I'm so looking forward to it, as much as I hate to admit it. That fucking Cortez really got to me with his unbreakable spirit. And that everlasting smile he has plastered on his face every time I see him. So cute.

"Are you all right, sweetie? You look distracted." - Mom asked me during Friday night dinner.

"I am, mom. I mean, I lost my invincibility. But I'm not worried about it. It's just bound to happen, I guess." - I mumbled with a bitter tone.

"Oh sweetie." - She caresses my face with her sweet touch. - "It's totally fine. It happens to the best of us." - She comforted me.

"Son, no one expects you to be unbeatable. It's not what warriors are about. Our strength lies in numbers and skills." - Dad told me with an empathetic tone, looking affectionately at me.

"I know, dad. But I'm not bothered by it. Really. I wasn't even thinking about that. I was actually thinking about my date tomorrow." - I explained, making them both gasp.

"Really?" - Mom was gobsmacked, sounding surprised. Though the real surprise comes next, I guess.

"With whom?" - Dad asked, intrigued.

"Simon." - I replied and watched their reaction.

"The kid who's been asking you out for a month?" - Dad gasped in shock.

"Yes, dad. The one and only." - I confirmed, bashfully.

"Didn't you say he was the school player?" - Mom raised an eyebrow to this.

"I'm pretty sure the school has more than one player, mom. But yeah, I did. What can I say? He won me over finally." - I replied, blushing more than I anticipated.

"Just be careful of him, son. You don't wanna--"

"I know, dad. I know, okay? You don't need to remind me of it every single day. I'm not defenseless. I can take care of myself." - I snapped, cutting him off, sounding really annoyed.

"I know you can, son. But it's my job to worry." - Dad spoke with a stern tone.

"And it's my job to have a life. I can't sit around waiting for a mate that is not gonna come or worry that every boy I see is out to rape me!" - I shouted, deeply irritated. Both my parents were gobsmacked by my words.

"Calm down, Elliott. That's not what your father is suggesting. No one is saying that you shouldn't have a life. We just worry, that's all." - Mom interjected, looking at me with sorrow on her face.

"I know, mom. It's that I already live in fear of going into heat every day. If I have to worry about my date on top of it all, I won't be able to function. I need a break." - I blurted, making them frown at my despair.

"Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry that you have to suffer through this." - Mom moved to hug me. I bask in her soothing warmth.

"I'm sorry, son. I know this isn't easy on you. I apologize if my words played a part in it. Of course, you should enjoy your life. But you're wrong in thinking your mate will never come. He's coming. I'm sure the Goddess won't leave you hanging." - Dad said with a soft smile at me.