Chapter 38: I Should Have Known Better

Simon

I'm worried.

I didn't know what to expect from my mate, no one ever does. But I sure hoped she wouldn't be tangled with another boy. I've seen this film already and didn't particularly like it the first time.

But then again, people make plans and the Goddess laughs. She's laughing hard at the irony right now.

The first period ended.

"Congratulations, Liv!" - Elliott cheered her in a happy tone.

"Thanks, Elliott. I'm still a little shaken up by it. I just can't believe I was mated to the Beta. Why me?" - She replied in a humble tone.

"Because you're beautiful, smart, compassionate, a true born leader and the best friend someone could ever need." - Elliott stated in an annoyed tone.

Liv blushed at his statement.

"It's true. Don't ever second guess yourself. You are a gem, a true good person. You deserve to be mated to the most eligible bachelor of the entire school. You deserve to be happy and to be treated well, as I'm sure you will be." - Elliott continued in a very confident tone.

"I don't know if he's the most eligible bachelor of the entire school..." - Marcus interjected, grimacing.

Elliott turned to look at him.

"Do you have a job secured next Fall? Does your family come from money? If there is any other person with those qualities who isn't already mated, please tell me now and I'll stand corrected." - Elliott boasted in a smug tone.

Marcus looked down. Elliott turned to look at his friend.

"As I was saying, you do deserve it. I'm sorry for not seeing sooner what the Goddess so clearly did. You are a superstar, Liv. And you deserve the best. No offense to Ben, who I'm sure will make for a great mate to a lucky girl one day." - He continued, causing a wrecked looking Ben to sob at the mention of his name.

Liv rushes to his side to comfort him with a hug. She cried too. And I left the classroom.

"Where do you get your confidence, mate? Damn, you speak with such self assurance that is staggering to me every time." - Felix melted at his mate. We're walking side by side in the hall towards our next class.

"Thanks, mate. For starters, I don't speak about matters I don't know of. I can offer my opinion if I'm asked or make a statement about something I know for sure. But I don't speculate, so that helps." - He replied in a matter of fact tone.

"Well, thank you for the kind words, Elliott. I appreciate it." - I chimed in, bashfully.

"You're welcome, Si. And you do deserve the best possible person for your mate. So, it's a match made in heaven." - He argued in a good mood.

I smiled at his enthusiasm. I don't share it not because I don't find her to be amazing. But I know the uphill battle I'm in for.

"Poor Ben..." - Felix said with a saddened tone.

"He'll bounce back eventually. It's gonna be hard, sometimes it'll feel impossible. But he will. Trust me, I know." - I argued, causing them both to look at each other guiltily.

As the news spread across the school like wildfire, I got congratulations and happy birthday from everyone in school. Every single student came up to me and wished me a happy birthday and congratulations on finding my mate.

Some probably are looking to score an invitation to my party, I'm not stupid. But I got the accolades as they came. I do deserve to have a day for myself. It is my birthday after all.