Chapter 4: Father's Son

Simon

Expectations.

It's funny how they sneak up on you and suddenly you're hoping for an outcome you don't always get. Or maybe never, but you keep on expecting it to happen.

My father expects me to succeed in his place as Beta of the pack.

But that is not guaranteed just because I'm his son. It's the Alpha who chooses the Beta. And though I was practically raised together with Felix, I'm lucky we turned out to be best friends. A lot of times being in the same place together isn't enough.

He could have not liked me or we could have not hit it off. Who knows, he could even discriminate against me over the fact that I like both boys and girls. But he would never do that. It's not in his character.

Just like it isn't in mine to give up.

I will have Elliot Lockwood, even if I have to spend the rest of the year wooing him.

Granted, I never had this much difficulty before getting anyone - girls or boys - but I guess there's a first time for everything in life. Lesson my best friend just learned after his second loss to the omega. Damn!

Honestly, that just makes me want him even more. Not to mention Elliot is seriously hot. When I saw him naked inside the locker room for the first time, I drooled. Not even exaggerating. Hot and handsome, what a terrible combination.

When I got home from school after dropping off Ash, I put my stuff down in my room, made a sandwich, ate it and went over to the pack house to talk to Felix. At this point, no one gets surprised by my presence over there. Like I said, I was practically raised in that house.

"Are you okay?" - I asked him once I entered his room. I'm the only person he allows to enter it without knocking first. Ashley comes here too, but his parents don't allow him to close the door when they're together in here under any circumstance.

Not that it prevents anything, to be honest. It just makes it a little more challenging, but teens are nothing if not resourceful. And there's a lot of empty places available for those who need it.

"I'm fine. You didn't need to come all the way here just to ask me that." - He replied with a sour mood. He was laying on his bed, so I sat down on a chair next to his desk. He looked absentminded when I entered, but I know he's thinking about the confrontation earlier at school. I can read him like a book.

"Ouch. Sorry I care about my best friend." - I snickered. I can see that he's peeved about losing today. It's written all over his face.

"I don't know how he does it! He's not even stronger than me! It just baffles me even more." - He exclaimed, deeply affected by all of it. He is certainly not used to losing fights.

"You do know that wrestling is not necessarily about strength, right?" - I argued with a soft tone.

"Yes, of course I know. But still, how does he manage it? How? And it's not just me, every boy he fought he won." - He ranted, sounding inconsolable.

"I'm guessing he had a lot of training. My dad told me that he never saw warriors like his parents. His dad took out 3 of ours in his try out in less than 10 minutes. He told me he never witnessed anything like it!" - I'm mesmerized by all the Lockwoods.

"Yeah, I know. My dad told me that too. He said that even his mom went through her try out knocking down male warriors twice her size." - He said in awe, admiring the woman he never met.

"It's no wonder he's so good at it. And I thought my dad was demanding... I can't imagine what he must've gone through to get this good. And he's been training since 4 years old. That's ridiculous!" - I gasped, sincerely shocked at this fact.