1

Today is my first day as an intern. I got accepted a week ago to one of the largest multinational company in the world and I couldn't be more proud.

It is a paid internship which I was really thankful for, that way I won't need to ask for allowance from my Dad.

I am not very close to my Mom, she's cold and distant unlike my Dad. 

Growing up, I never felt loved by my Mom. Whenever she gets drunk, she always blames me for ruining her life. When I was young, I never fully understand what she meant but growing up, with the stories I hear from my Aunts and grand parents, my Mom got pregnant by her college boyfriend and as soon as he learned that, he ran and left her.

My Mom was devastated when he left and planned on terminating the pregnancy, a.k.a. Me.

My grand parents, her parents did not allow her to do that, so she stopped studying and had me. She never went back to college after giving birth. She tried to find her college boyfriend who abandoned her and learned eventually that he was about to be wed to a wealthy girl in our town.

She was so broken that she started drowning herself in alcohol till she met Danny, the man who I call my Dad, he might be just my Step Father, but he loves me like his own. He fills the gap between my Mother and I with his kindness and love for both of us.

She stopped drinking and was so happy with my Dad and she even started being kind to me, attending to my needs but then years later, I was already 7years old, she met my biological Father in a party and things went to being almost perfect to as bad as when she was still carrying me. 

As per my Aunt, she confronted him at that party and he humiliated her, call her a whore and accused her that he was not the father of her child and called her some other names.

From that day on, she was back to being cold to me, was even telling me that looking at me make her sick as I resemblance to my Father.

I was young but I still remember how it hurts whenever she disses me, tells me that I would grow up like him as I look very similar to him.

But Danny, my Dad, he was always there for me, he goes to my recitals, every one of them, even just for practices, I used to play an all girls-soccer in high school so to all my practice, he would show up and cheer for me, imagine him on the night of the game, he'd be cheering so loud in the stands, shouting my name on the top of his lungs.

In my Mom's absence, he was always there. I know for a long time now, he wanted to leave my Mom, she was always drunk, would always yell for no reason and even break our stuff in the house. She would always start a fight with him, but even if he wanted to leave her so bad, he cannot, he's thinking about me.

I'm not his own so he wouldn't have the power to take me with him, I was still a minor then. So he stayed, he stayed for me till I graduated high school. 

As soon as I was 18, he got me to college where I can stay in the dorm and be far away from my Mom and he filed a divorce immediately.

I still get in touch with my Mom, visit her sometimes even if she always gives me the cold shoulder. The thing is, even if I grew up with her hating me, my Dad kept my feet on the ground. He would always remind me that she's still my Mother and he knows that she loves me in her own way even if I don't see it.

He would always tell me to be kind with others even if they are not, always say thank you and please and that I should not bear grudges.

He's a good man. It's a shame he did not meet anybody else after my Mother. 

He focused on me, sent me to a good school and make sure I will have a better future.

So now, I am starting this internship. I have my bachelor's degree in business administration, I would have pursue with my master degree but it would cost my Dad a fortune.

It was an argument between him and I. 

I wanted to start working and earn my own money and pay my masters by my own but my Dad was opposed to it.

After college, he got me my apartment, he is paying for it, he's paying for everything, he wouldn't even let me do a part time work, a lot of students do it but my Dad wants me to focus on my studies.

Oh, it was a big argument but eventually I wore him down, I had him understand that I'm not a child anymore and I'm a woman who can take care of herself.

I took a last glance in my mirror, I had my hair slightly curled, kind of like a wavy style. I wore a burgundy skinny slacks that reaches above my ankle, I partnered it with white turtle neck long sleeves shirt and a black high heels. The HR who interviewed me told me that there is no need to wear a formal attire so I go with a power casual look.

As soon as satisfied, I headed to the door.

"Oh hi, Cara!" My next door neighbor, Mrs. Gibson.

"Hi Mrs. Gibson, Good morning!" I greeted her.

"It's a good morning indeed, dear. You look beautiful as always." She walked along side me, smiling.

I pressed the elevator button and turned to her.

"I'm starting my internship today and I want my Boss and colleagues to have a good impression with me." I answered her smiling.

As soon as the elevator door opens, I gestured her to go before me.

"Oh dear, I'm sure they will. You look gorgeous." She puts her hand in my arm.

She is really nice, always greets everybody in the building, very warm lady.

How I wish my Mom was like her. But that just it, a wish.

Mrs. Gibson notices my face fell.

"Oh, dear. Don't worry too much, I'm sure you'll have a great day at work." She tried to assure me.

I looked at her and smile.

"Thank you, Mrs. Gibson."

We parted ways when she went down the ground floor and I in the basement where my car was parked.

It is a black Toyota Camry 2015, the old car of my Dad. He wanted to buy me a brand new one as a gift when I graduated but I politely declined. I want him to buy a new one for his own and so he did.

I started the car and pray that this day gets better.