34

"What just happened?" I asked Brian as soon as we were in the elevator. I'm still confused as hell.

To my surprise, Brian burst out laughing while I stared at him in confusion and disbelief. 

"Oh my god, Cara! You should've seen your face!" And he continued laughing.

We reached the basement with him still laughing.

"Cut it out, that's not funny. What was that all about?" I asked him irritated.

"Where's your car?"

I pointed to where my car was, and we both walked toward it. When I opened it, Brian threw my purse on the back seat and then guided me to the passenger side.

"Brian!" I yelled at him.

"I'm gonna bring you home." He said plainly.

"You have your car here, why would you..."

"I'll take a cab after I drop you home."

"That makes no sense!"

"Juts get in the car, Cara." 

"Not until you tell me what happened upstairs." I was holding the car door while he just stood in front of me. 

"Fine!" He surrendered.

"I just wanted to take you away from her, ok? It's past 6 in the evening, office hours is just till 5."

I chewed the inside of my cheek.

"So, I will be doing that every day. What you're doing now with Alex, it's above your pay grade, she shouldn't be doing that to you. She should take another intern to help you with that, okay?" He continued.

"Fine. But you don't have to take me home, I can drive. I don't want to bother you so much." I told him.

"I know, but let me drive you. I'm happy to drive you, Cara." He smiled and sincerely said.

"Okay, okay! But... Can we at least eat somewhere? I'm starving."

Brian widened his smile.

"I would love that!"

While on the way, Brian did not stop talking. 

He talks mostly about his work, how he finds it so interesting, that he's learning so much, even if it's taking so much of his time, it is fine because he grew to love the work and the company and its people.

We stopped at a pizza place, which by the way excites me as it's been ages since I've eaten a pizza.

"I knew you would be excited to eat here." Brian said as soon as we settled inside.

"How'd you know?" 

The waitress came and we were interrupted. We gave our order and Brian spoke as soon as she left.

"I remember in college, every time we would eat pizza, you would always say no and would tell us that you eat pizza only on a schedule as you don't want to ruin your diet." Emphasizing the diet.

"Why is it a big deal for you guys that I do diet?" I told him smiling.

"Aside from me, who's making it a big deal?"

"Well, Claire, the girls and..." I had to stop midsentence as I remember Alex was making it such a big deal when it came up in one of our conversations.

"And?" 

"Well... Alex, she, umm. Anyway, the point is, you guys are making it a big deal." 

There was a moment of silence or rather an awkward silence.