28

Alex's eyes diverted to my hands that were holding her elbows. Her brows furrowed looking at them, she probably noticed the bandages.

When her eyes met mine again, there was worry across them, or I am just imagining things?

"Car-"

"I'm... I'm sorry Ms. Williams." I let go of her elbows and walk straight to the elevator. When I pressed 10th, and before the elevator closes, I shot a glimpse of Alex who was still looking at me worriedly.

I didn't know I was holding my breath until I was alone in the elevator. 

So much for avoiding her.

When I reached the 10th floor, the people were starting to go back to their offices including my colleagues from the 9th.

"Hey, you're just having lunch now?" It was Tom who was about to jump in the elevator.

"Yeah, just grabbing something."

"Ok, see you downstairs."

"See you." I waved at him.

I actually don't know what I should be getting. I came here to avoid Alex's arrival in the office. But since I failed, I guess I should get something to bring down to my table.

I bought one muffin from the cart and head back downstairs. 

I hope she stays in her office the whole afternoon.

As soon as I sat on my seat, I started working again. I was distracted knowing Alex is here in the office but I still manage to deliver my work.

"I heard Alexandra is not feeling well and she was really in no mood today." I heard somebody whisper from behind. 

I tried to resist looking back.

"I know, the receptionist is coming up to bring some medicine." The whispers continue.

"She came only for the board meeting and will leave after."

So, she was not feeling well, maybe that's why she didn't come to the office yesterday.

Or maybe also because of your confession.

Did that make her sick to her stomach that she was still not feeling well till today?

Ouch!

I felt what seems to be an imaginary knife stabbing through my chest thinking about that.

I glanced at her door knowing that she was just literally a few steps away from me but it seems like she was a million miles away. 

The feeling of emptiness is embracing my whole being. I've known her for a short period of time but why do I feel like living without her would be hell?

Not long when the receptionist from downstairs came and knocked on Alex's door. And when she opened it, I think my heart skipped a beat when our eyes met through the space left by the door. It was just two seconds but it felt like hours. 

I missed her.

It just added to the pain she caused me, I shouldn't feel this after she abandoned me after I confessed but only if I can teach my heart

I couldn't read her face, she was just looking at me blankly while I, well, I must look pitiful to her.

Damn it!

My eyes are brimming with tears, threatening to fall, threatening to expose what I was really feeling and what I was trying to fight for days now.

A single tear, glistening like a diamond, escapes the confines of my eye and begins its descent down my cheek, I couldn't take it anymore.