12

The meeting started with introducing Brian to the board members then it followed the tasks that would be appointed to him.

God knows how I tried to focus, I think I should have a medal or something for it.

Alex being just a few steps away from where I was seating is making me lose focus sometimes. I could smell her perfume and it just intoxicated me, I had to shift from time to time from my chair to shake all these feelings.

When she stood up to present her power point, every move, every lift of her arms, my eyes followed her like I was mesmerized. Every word, how she pronounce them, I was amazed.

She didn't have to look at me for me to feel everything again, her presence and her voice are enough to fascinate me.

In the week I've been in the company, I haven't really worked with her yet, not directly.

So seeing her in her corporate yet elegant clothes, working, talking to people with her authority, makes me feel... turned on?

Feeling all my blood rushing through my veins, I was drawn on every word that comes out of her mouth, I feel the urge of grabbing a handful of something or anything and then there was this heat and tingling I feel in my very core, is that what it is?

I've never been turned on by anything or anyone so I'm not quite sure if I was describing it right.

The meeting was adjourned by everybody clapping their hands to Alex and Brian, for what, I have no idea. But I was surprised that I was able to take minutes, I guess I can multitask then.

But if you would ask me, I did not understand a single thing. My hand just wrote and highlighted important notes, and names that were mentioned during the meeting.

And the entire time, Alex did not give me even a single glance. But it did not matter, I was happy just by looking and studying her movements.

She moves very graciously, and speaks with class and affirmation.

I wonder how it feels like if I will be working with her one on one. I'm not gonna be able to focus, for sure.

"Cara, come with us to lunch." Brian caught me while I was about to go outside. It was just us and Alex in the conference room and it didn't take a genius to guess who else will be in that lunch.

I looked at Alex who was busy fixing her things on the table.

"Please, Cara." He must've read the hesitation in my face hence the begging puppy eyes.

"Brian..." 

"It's just lunch, and it will not be just the two of us, Alex will be with us if that's what you're worried about." He cut me off.

Oh, Brian. If you only knew, that was the very reason I don't want to. I wanted to tell him.

"Greene, just go already!" I heard Alex hiss. 

"I will wait in the car." She continued and walk past us without even looking.

"Cara..." Pleading Brian.

I let out a sigh before I nodded and that made him smile, he is happy.

We were walking with his hand on my arm, a true gentleman. His fingers are actually touching my arm barely, like it was there just in case I trip or fall or something.

How can I not have feelings for this man, he is close to perfection. He loves me through the years, why can't I reciprocate even just a little bit of that?

As usual, all eyes are on us. Jealous eyes, some are judging.

"Are you still not used to the stare?" Brian looked down at me smiling, we were waiting for the elevator.

I smiled timidly.

Ever since college, it was the same stares, he's right, why am I still not used to it?

We reached the basement where Alex was already waiting in the driver's seat. Brian opened for me the door of the back seat before he climbed into the passenger seat.

"What took you so long?" Alex asked with irritation in her voice.

Hearing that, my eyes turned to the rearview mirror where I met Alex's. 

"The elevator was busy, it's lunchtime." Brian explained in a very calm voice and looked at me as well through the rearview mirror.

"Whatever..." Alex mumbled under her breath and drove away.

The car ride was quiet, though from time to time, Brian was talking to me about random things.

The road that we were taking was very familiar and when Alex parked the car I knew I was right, we are at the Italian restaurant where we had our dinner last week.

Brian hurried to climb out of the car and open the door for me before I could do it. When I stepped out, I saw Alex looking at Brian's hand reaching for mine.

With her looking, I hesitated for a second but accepted it eventually.

Again, with a guilty feeling. Why?

We entered the restaurant with Alex in front of us and Brian not letting go of my hand. I felt shy with all the people looking at us, they must've thought it was odd for me to be with them.

Thinking of that, I looked down.

The maître d' guided us to the same table where Alex and I sat. The weather is good today, not so hot so the outdoor seat is not that bad.

I seated across Alex and Brian on my side. 

When I was handed a menu, Brian asked me what I want.

I suddenly remember how Alex took care of that for me when we were last here. 

Like we were thinking of the same thing, Alex looked up from the menu to check on me.

She must've seen that I was not comfortable so she spoke.

"I think she will like the truffle pasta and... maybe a pan-fried salmon fillet?" 

Her eyes soften waiting for me, it was different from what she ordered for me before but I'm sure it was just delicious as the last time.

My lips formed a smile involuntarily.

"Yeah, that would be fine." I told her while I put down the menu on the table.

Brian was still busy browsing it that he did not notice the staring contest happening between Alex and me.

When everybody was done ordering, Alex's attention was on me.

"So, Cara... why didn't you date my Brother here?" Brian and I are surprised at how bluntly she asks that.

"Alex..." Brian exclaimed.

"What? I heard your side, I want to hear hers."  She continued like it was nothing like opening this conversation was normal. I think she actually enjoys seeing that I was rattled by the question and seeing Brian turning red.

"She's not gonna answer that." Brian glared at her controlling his voice.

Alex burst out laughing at Brian's reaction, it was like she was so amused at our expense.

"Oh come on you guys, it's been ages. And I'm interested in your, you know... your story." 

"There was no story, Al." Brian with his firm voice.

Alex ignored him and turned her gaze back to me.

"Come on, Cara. Don't be a buzz kill. Is he not your type? I mean, look at him... He's gorgeous, look at that face, most girls will kill for his attention, don't you think?"

Is this the feeling when you are in a hot seat? Cause I feel it is. 

Brian looked at me with apologetic eyes. I know he was so embarrassed at how Alex is behaving right now but there was no stopping her.

"Well..?" Alex asked impatiently.