63

"Did you just..." 

My heart leaped in my chest, a rush of hope flooding through me like a tidal wave. Could it be? Was she finally awakening from her unconscious state?

With trembling fingers, I watched in awe as her hand twitched ever so slightly, a gentle movement that sent shockwaves of disbelief coursing through me. It was as if the very air around us crackled with anticipation, charged with the electric energy of the moment.

For a heartbeat, time stood still as I held my breath, suspended in a moment of exquisite uncertainty. And then, with a soft sigh, her fingers curled around mine, a silent testament to the strength of her will and the power of our connection.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I gazed down at her, she was slowly opening her eyes and my heart overflowing with a kaleidoscope of emotions. Joy mingled with disbelief, relief with gratitude, as I watched her slowly emerge from the depths of unconsciousness.

"A-Alex?" I called her.

Agatha must have sensed that something was happening as I stood up from the chair, she hurriedly went beside me and gasped as she saw Alex finally opening her eyes.

"Oh my god, Alex!" Agatha exclaimed.

As her eyes fluttered open, I held my breath, waiting for that moment of connection, the shared gaze that would confirm she was truly back with me. But as she blinked, her eyes seemed to wander, unfocused and lost.

A knot formed in my stomach as I realized she wasn't looking at me. Panic surged within me, threatening to drown out the relief I'd felt just moments before. 

Could it be? 

Was she unable to see?

I fought to keep my voice steady as I called out her name for the second time, desperately searching for any sign of recognition in her eyes. But all I saw was emptiness, a void where there should have been warmth and familiarity.

Tears stung my eyes as I reached out to touch her cheek, clinging to the hope that somehow, this was just a temporary setback.

"Cara?" She called me, her voice was obviously scared. She put her hand on top of mine which was on her cheek.

"I'm here, baby... I'm here!" 

"Wha- What's happening? Mom?" 

God, she's so scared...

"Mom's here, Alex..." Agatha reached for her hand. "I'm gonna call your Doctor, okay? Cara..."

I nodded at her before she left, calling the Doctor.

"It's okay, babe... You're gonna be okay, I'm here, I'm not gonna leave you..." I tried to console her and ease whatever she was feeling right now.

Though I knew it was not enough, she still nodded and held my hand tight but it didn't stop her tears from falling on her cheeks.

Not long, the Doctor came with Agatha. I had no choice but to move aside and give the Doctor the space to examine her.

As I waited anxiously for the doctor to approach, my mind raced with a torrent of fears and uncertainties. Every passing moment felt like an eternity, each second stretching into an agonizing eternity of doubt and worry.

My heart hammered in my chest, a relentless drumbeat of apprehension that drowned out all other thoughts. The mere thought of what the doctor might say filled me with a sense of dread so profound it was almost suffocating.

I clenched my fists tightly, willing myself to stay strong for her, even as a wave of helplessness threatened to overwhelm me. She needed me now more than ever, and I couldn't afford to falter in the face of adversity.