Opening Your heart

The same way you open your heart to Jesus and you allow Him, to be your Lord and Saviour.

Similarly, you can open your heart to the enemy and do the wrong thing giving them authority over your life.

The enemy can't do anything in our lives. We are spiritually covered as children of God but the only ways he can enter inside our lives and cause havoc is by two ways:

1) There are open doors to him
2) God gives him permission

These are the only ways the kingdom of darkness can press and harm the life of a child of God through open doors and God's permission. God's permission is always with boundaries and limits.

We see this in the life of Job that God did allow satan to tempt Job but he couldn't touch his person (Job 1:6-12).

The Lord is our protector. He is a good shepherd and father.

But despite God's faithfulness, there is another factor which is you. If you open the door. We open the door to the enemy when we go outside God's will. We become vulnerable and go outside of the protection of God. God's protection is found in Him.

Think of a house. This house is called God's protection which is in following His word, talking with Him, obeying Him, etc and so when we go against this were by sinning, disobeying, etc then we leave this house. This house is our safe house but outside there is filled with danger. If we open the door to the house thrlen danger enters and begins to cause havoc.

This is found in addictions such as drinking or pornography where it becomes not just a sin you but now it becomes like a tie. You opened the door for the enemy to plant seeds of lust in you. When you hang out with the wrong crowd you open the door to negative influence. When you spend more time in the world than with God you open the door to many things. When you dwell in jealous thoughts you open the door to bitterness and envy that can lead to acts such as murder, stealing, insulting etc

We see this in the lives of Cain and Able. Cain was filled sith jealousy because God preferred his brothers offering (Able) over his. God then gave Cain this warning.

Genesis 4:6-7
NLT
6 “Why are you so angry?” the Lord asked Cain. “Why do you look so dejected? 7 You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.”

The temptation to sin comes to every one of us. We get tempted to go outside God's will, to lean on our understanding and move in our ways but in doing so we are allowing access to the enemy.

What happens when you open your heart to Christ? The Bible reveals that Jesus symbolically stands at the door and knocks. He knocks so we can invite Him in. He waits for us to open that door and once we do we make Him Lord and Saviour. He receives the leadership of our lives. He gives us access to the Father. Opening the door for Jesus opens the door to blessing, freedom, liberty, etc

Now just imagine the enemy. Opening the door to him opens doors to oppression, chains, bond, addictions, hurt, generational ties etc. We open the door allowing the enemy to have access to make changes. Allowing someone bad to your life allows them to bring bad in.

That's why the bible urges us to guard our hearts (Proverbs 4:23). That's why we are cautioned to watch and pray (Matthew 26:41) and take heed lest we fall (1 Corinthians 10:12-13).

We are warned that the enemy moves like a roaring lion (1 Peter 5:8). The kingdom of darkness watches over our lives trying to find a way to enter. When you accepted Jesus you became a threat and an enemy to the devil where not only does he hate you but he'll do anything to mess up your life.

The Bible reveals that his objective is to harm us. His Mission is to kill, steal and destroy (John 10:10). He will seek any way to steal something from you, to kill something, and to destroy something. He will attack your relationship with God with the goal in mind to never let you walk in God's plan.

So how do we keep the doors closed?

1) Break the access to the old doors

If you opened the door to the enemy in some way before you must repent from it and break that door. You need to confess your sin, ask for forgiveness then work towards breaking any ties, chains, and connections to whatever that may be. Depending on the case God could lead you to fast, pray longer but always make sure that there is nowhere that the enemy can use to enter in your life.

2) Watch where the source is

The apostle Paul spoke this wisdom. He said that all is allowed but not all is good for you (1 Corinthians 6:12). Not everything we see, watch, listen to, and hang out with is good and beneficial for us. There are some things certain things, activities, ideas, etc that could have the potential to open doors to the enemy. For example, sending too much time on social media could potentially open the door to jealousy, comparison, pride, etc so it would be wise to limit your time on there if it's a weakness of yours.

So always keep guard and always ask God what are you currently doing that can open the door for the kingdom of darkness to harm your life.

3) Remain connected to God always.

The Bible calls us to pray without ceasing. We should remain in prayer so that God can keep revealing to us things we should cut off, things we should refuse and reject, and things that aren't His will for our life.

Remaining connected to God means that you're doing and incorporating things that are bringing you closer to God. Whether that is listening to worship throughout school or reading the word during breaks at work. Staying connected to God will keep you from getting distracted and from being insensitive to the strategies the enemy can use to enter our life.

The strength to remain connected to God is found in prayer. A life of prayer specifically. If you are neglecting praying, priorise other things and can barely spend time with God for 15 minutes just speaking then you're letting yourself remain a weak Christian. If you're new to the faith its normal to struggle to pray longer and spend time with God but as you mature you should be able to spend time with God regularly as it is now apart of your daily routine and lifestyle. Like Daniel it must be a automatic response to pray as soon as you wake up and speak to God. We can't go a morning without thanking God, surrendering our days, praying for our families for protection etc. If you can go a day without speaking to God then it's not a relationship but rather a two strangers who at times communicate.

If you want for your heart to open more towards God you must be willing to express yourself to Him constantly. Share with Him your desires, wants, needs, plans etc and ask Him questions about His. You must trust that He not only hears you but wants to answer your questions. That He will begin to speak to you through music, songs, people, visions, dreams and His still small voice, His convictions and leadings. God is someone we walk with and the more you spend time communicating with someone the more your heart will open up to them.

You'll make them your best friend the more you share deep and vulnerable information. You'll grow closer. When you speak to God don't be afraid to be vulnerable. To share deep things. To share your temptations and sin struggles. To share your pain and agony. To share your feelings about a situation. To share your greatest fears, worries and desires. God is there to hear it all and help you, direct you, correct you and build you up. He isn't afraid of your struggles neither does He judge you for making mistakes but your God is there to establish you, to build you up and to edify you to move the right way.

Your God is there every morning waking you up because He has a will for your life. He has a purpose behind breath and a reason for your being. He is there so that whatever you may face, no matter how messy, painful or exciting that He there as your greatest companion to walk life with you.

He wants to walk life with you. He wants to hear your voice, your thoughts and your opinions and similarly He wants you to hear His by mediating on His word and seeking Him. So I encourage you to make this God your best friend and speak to Him everyday, all day and all the time. In-between doing homework or during breaks at work just speak to Him like His your best friend. Share to Him what excited you, what made you tired and He is here to hear all that as not just your Lord and Saviour but your Father and friend.