Part Three

Everyone had made plans for their weekend break, and I barely could note down what to do. Leaving work, the drive seemed longer than it usually was.

It must have been annoying, but almost everywhere my eyes looked, there stood a couple. It did bother me, after all, I had never been with anyone.

I didn't know how to be intimate in that way.

"Stubborn, you got to let a guy lead," drove in the driveway.

"Hard-headed, just go with the flowww," closed the car door.

"Tough...yeah, you scare me," turned the knob.

"You spend so much time locked away, how can anyone find you," I mimicked my coworkers, and fell face first on my bed.

Couldn't help thinking about it all. I've heard it so many times before. Have tried meeting men, they were just,...so easy? Easy to read, easy to pin point what they wanted, and what they wanted was something I wasn't willing to give. Luck with men; my sister scored it all.

Men, they are animals. Pure animals basing things on what they feel in their gut. But, you women, you can raise us, change us. My dear, I'm sorry it bothers you that you are always without a partner to walk with. Though, you just need a chance. Maybe, even a kick in the rear to get you out to it, I thought about what Kurt wrote me, and it all seemed fair. I wasn't taking chances. I stayed far from guys to begin with.

"Lord, shoot me now." I groaned into my blankets.

Grabbed my pillow, and before I could smash my head into it the doorbell rang. My heart shoved itself in deeper. I jumped a little, and peeked through the curtains. A car was parked at the end of our front yard, though, I couldn't make out who it belonged to. Joan ran into my room screaming, "Lani, Lani, there's a man outside. He's in a suit! I think he is a sailorman!"

"Salesman." I corrected as I crept out of bed, slipped on my sweater, and made my way quietly downstairs. Joan followed, and I pressed my finger to my mouth as Mary turned around to speak. She froze, then nodded.

"Why are we being so quiet?" Mary scooted behind me as I held the door knob.

"Isn't it your job to be brave?" Joan picked her ear as I lowered my eyes. Yeah, sure it is.

"You both want me killed." I mouthed my words. Mary ignored me and continued a conversation with Joan.

"By a spy?"

"Maybe he's a good spy?"

"Okay, you need to stop watching television. Spies don't work like that." I cut in.

"Oh, oh, they are called assassins, all part of a corp-thing, yeah, I remember."

"Assassin is a bad word because ass-"

"Joan, Mary, I AM GOING TO MURDER YOU before this guy does. Shush it."

"Are you going to open the bloody door, or not."

We froze as the man spoke through the door.

"Accent?" I mouthed to Mary as she hunched her shoulders. Joan slapped her cheeks together.

Slowly, I opened the door.

The first thing I see is his navy blue tie, then I look up, and God, he had features that no one else around did. His eyes were a light black, and somehow suited his baby blond hair. You could tell he wasn't from around here. So clean,...and cut...

Sun poured across the entrance, and he got a clear view at my face.

He stood still, then gave me a once over.

My hair was obviously a mess, and my capris made me seem younger than I actually was.

"Mmm...," he raised a brow while giving me a bored look. "Right, don't tell me you are The Great Lania Kett."

Suddenly, I felt like I wanted to punch him. Oh, you pompous jerk.

"Oh, you bet, snotty." Mary crossed her arms making the man give the faintest smile. Clearly, he admired her outspoken attitude.

"Mary, go out back. You too, Joan. Please." They groaned, and with a pat on the back I sent them away.

Facing him, I crossed my arms, then hardened my face. Okay, now I am ready.

Quickly reminding himself of something, he cleared his throat. "My name is Mathew Wallis, my father is Kurt Wallis, and he asked me to give you this." He took out a small letter.

Everything kind of melted away, and he noticed. I reached for the letter, but he quickly moved it higher.

"Hey!" I jumped, and he stretched his arms farther. "Are you serious? This isn't funny. Give it to me you-you, please!"

"He requested for me to give it to you right after I leave."

I stopped jumping, and crossed my arms again, "and when will that happen, Mr. Wallis?"

His face stood still as he searched my face for something. I gave him a confused look, and he looked away.

"One month from now, madam."

"One-pppfff, fffuhh-hah..." As I was puffing around for words, he stood still, then I looked back at him. "Wait. Are you alright with this?"

He was about to answer, but then I started rambling on my own.

"Why would he send one of his sons? Especially the serious one? Is it really bad? Perhaps it is, since you are the busy one in the family, and for him to pull you away from your work, well, it must be-but for you to stay a month in America? Is he punishing you? Am I the punishment? Why is he punishing you?"

"Ms. Kett."

"Is this his goodbye, his real goodbye? Lord, I can't even breathe right."

"Ms. Kett, madam."

"I-I-I-," I couldn't place my words, then Mathew touched my shoulder and I flinched. Quickly, he removed his hand.

"Madame, are you-"

"I'm here, what do you need?" My mother walked down the stairs in her slippers, and I wanted to die from embarrassment. Her yellow, ducky summer dress was the end of my world. Burn it, why don't you burn that thing? Mother?!

"Mom, he's uhm-he's ah, Mr. uhmm, Mathew Wallis." My arm swung around till he took it, and gave me a look to stop. With a small nudge, I made him release me. "Mr. Mathew Wallis."

My mother didn't know much of my pen pal hobby, but from the little, incorrect, and a bit unedited rambling from Felicia, she knew there was a Mr. Wallis I was close to.

"Ah, oh...OHHH, you are Mr. Wallis?" She scanned him up, and down, then back at me, and right back to his face.

"My God, you're a catch, I almost can't believe a well dressed man is here for Lania. Though a bit too clean, grow a beard, ooooh, that'd fit in nice with your face. Right, Lania? Your man friend co-"

"Mom, no, please stop." Closed my eyes while I shook my head, "stop that, now."

She pulled him in, and half way I shoved my body between his chest to try and stop her from pulling him all the way inside the house.

"No, no, n-no, we are not just letting strangers in!"

"Lania, don't be childish." She scolded me, as I did my best to keep him outside, "he's special to you, so he's special to us."

"My father did mention your mother wouldn't be dodgy about it, instead would be delighted." Mathew said it in such a low voice, it made my skin crawl. He meant it low so only I could hear, but it came off as husky, and-and well...

"Delighted by what?!" I whispered right back in a snappy attitude.

My mother tickled me, and I fell forward with Mathew. He managed to grab the door as help, and with the other he held my hand to avoid me crashing straight on my face. We seemed like actors in a play, stuck in such an awkward pose.

"Are you free, all month?" He asked while still holding me inches off the floor. My mother squealed while my eyes grew wide.

Dammit, Kurt. What did you plan?