Part 20 (Mathew's POV)

"Ms. Kett."

No answer.

"Ms. Kett." I repeat as her shadow stops shaking. Touching the door, again I turn the knob only to see it's still locked; she's refused to let me in, and my patience was wearing thin. This had to be a joke of hers.

"This little tactic to annoy me is becoming far too childish, even for you." I said trying to spark her up, then I leaned against the door to listen. Before I could grin at her silliness, I heard a sob. My eyes widen, and lowered my head to hear clearly. I asked, "Lania, why are you crying?"

The sound of her voice was off, but her attitude was indeed its usual self as she quietly snapped back. "Oh, just go home. I can't do...this. I can't do it, so go."

"What in bloody hell are you speaking about?" The grip around the knob tightened as she scoffed at me.

"The intelligent, Mathew Wallis, he can't even figure out what a silly, little girl is saying. Oh, pooh."

Of course I wished to look her straight in the eyes; it was easier to read a person that way, but all I had to go on was her weary voice, and honestly, I did not enjoy what it was doing to my nerves. Finally, I sighed. "I shouldn't have kissed you."

She muttered something, and I asked what in hell was it, which she replied in a squeaky, high-pitch tone, "-kissed me with your tongue! My mouth was open! I could have choked!"

I rolled my eyes. Lord, it was not a horrible experience. It was a rather pleasent sensation before you pushed me away, running to your room. Something pulsed in me, and quickly I rearranged my thoughts. But I've had better, of course.

"Of course I have," I assure myself while rubbing my chin.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing."

Giving a glance at my watch, I knock at her door mentioning it's been ten minutes, and that I was willing to break the door in order to see her flustered face.

As I rolled up my sleeves, she unlocked the door, then cracked it open only enough to see one brown eye, and a soaked, pink cheek.

"That's unnessary. Why would you do that?" She asked.

I leaned in with one hand clutching the door. That's when I said something that was what I wished could have been pure honesty, but it wasn't. It was honesty, and kindness.

"Because silly girls have the sweetest hearts, and you do not deserve to bitter yours with these tears. I apologize if I frightened you."

A small tears slid down her eye as she replied, "that's you being honest?"

"Yes."

"...all right. This is me." She shook her bangs away, and opened fully swung the door open before finishing with an exhale. "I liked the kiss."

"Ah," my words did not know how to string themselves into a proper sentence and it took me a bit to finally ask. "Why were you crying then?" I leaned in closer till we both were inches apart.

Lania turned her eyes away from me, making me wait for an answer. If she was being honest, might as well keep going. I asked again.

"I don't know."

Liar. I patted her head, and smiled. It's my turn to be the first to simmer down.

"Let's continue this little lesson then? I will be less...charming."

"Who said you charmed me. I was just thrown off by your slippery tongue; the taste was weird."

Oh, you little brat.