Part 5

"He's here! He's here, and Lani, Mr. Wallis brought flowers!" My mother shook me even while I sat up. Everything still seemed fuzzy and blurry since I hadn't awaken fully. My eyebrows caved in as I showed my frustration. What good is a Saturday if I can't sleep in?

The sun slapped me hard as the curtains flew to the dark corners; I swear I heard my skin scream.

"Whaaaaaaaaaaaat, I'm tired, Ma." My head slouched back and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror; the sweat from last night had made hairs stick to my forehead like some deserted nest, the loose shirt had stretched into a blanket across my body, and my eyes resembled a snowman's.

She managed to scoot me down the stairs as I mumbled about sweet dreams that I never get to see end.

"Good morning!" Joan yelled as she smacked my butt and then ran towards the kitchen with a syrup bottle.

"Eh, yeah..., Joan." My droopy arms flung around trying to capture her. Mom had stopped pushing me, but I kept walking to the door. "God, I haven't even brushed my teeth, or even used the toilet. Bring out the old potty trainer, I'll use it right now and then that'll scare him enough to go back home."

"Believe me, Madame, it is pretty close."

I turned around, and there he was on the sofa holding peach Darby roses on his lap. Honestly, I must have something like this happen; a bad start.

"Um-sorry, I didn't mean it like- well, I did, but didn't know you were right there." My blush pilled across my face, and he seemed to enjoy it.

"I brought you your favorite. Here." As he handed them to me, I said thank you, then we both stood quiet for a moment. My mother smiled and walked away backwards fading away from the awkwardness. This is going to be a disaster, one way or the other.

"So...I believe you have to give me a kiss. Then a hug, maybe." He said.

"...w-what?" I stammered out, almost dropping the roses.

"As a token of affection, gratitude for my arrival, the present I've brought you, pick any reason to do so, Ms. Kett."

"Like hell I'll kiss you." I bit back, "Mr. Wallis."

"You are stubborn. Is it really so difficult to play along?" He leaned in to kiss me, and I raised the roses up into his face before he could ever touch my burning cheek.

No, no, no.

"I can't kiss you because if I do," My heart raced through my chest. Damn it, he's making my chest produce feelings I certainly do not need right now. The heat fell from my cheeks as I cleared my mind of Lala Land, "-it'll mean I love you,...and I most definitely don't." Plus my breath stinks.

Mathew peeked through the roses giving a small nod. The more he stared at me, the redder I became and once again my face was fire.

"All right, no kissing. My, honestly, you're quite innocent."

"No, I'm not!"

"Oh, yes you are, more than most, that is," he loosened his jacket around the shoulders. "An experienced woman could kiss any man without a flinch, a girl can't even stand near men without blushing."

A bubble was starting to swell up in my chest.

"I can't control how my body reacts to things, you jerk."

"Jerk? I have been pretty placid this entire time."

"...why don't you simply leave, Mr. Wallis? Really, we are not going to get along." The roses were the only place I wanted to place my eyes on, not him; he would break the mask I was striving to maintain in place. .

"Because I love my father, and I have never been grand in displaying it - this should be enough."

"It'll be a terrible month."

"Without a doubt."

"And you'll dislike me a lot more."

"Probably, you aren't that charming."

"Oh, and you are chocolate drop, I'm sure."

"When I want to be, yes, I can charm a lady or two, unlike you, silly girl."

"Silly is the girl who falls for whatever CHARM you believe you have. Jerk."

My mother cleared her throat as we both shot back at each other. We noticed how close we had gotten, then he backed away whispering how insufferable I was going to be.

"I made lemonade. Come have some with me as Lani changes into something NICE." Mom looked deep at me as she signaled me to dress my best. You have got to be kidding.

She wrapped her arms around his then led the way out to the deck.

I squinted my eyes wondering what he was going to tell her while I was gone, but decided to leave to my room.

Clearly these roses are for a grave!