Part 24 (Mathew's POV)

The flowers I had bothered to buy Lania were now stuffed in the trash due to my unexplainable reason to not have Jack spot them.

Why don't I want him to see? I was doing my duty, I was being a gentleman, escort, roleplay boyfriend to our little subject, so why shouldn't he see the flowers I had personally hand chosen fro that sassy nut across town!

"Little brother, what troubles you, hmm?" Jack asked while lighting his ciggarette in my room at the inn.

"Do not call me that. We are only a year apart." I firmly reminded him. He smirked, then pulled out his lighter.

He knows I do not take well with smokers. Not ever, and especially not with people I happened to care about. Even this pest of a brother.

I had my head resting on my thumb, with my index finger at my temple. The way he squinted his eyes at me told me he knew what was coming. Not a second later did I stand and swiped away the offensive stick from his lips.

"Not in my room." I said before throwing it in the trash, above the flowers. Lania came to mind once again, and I was a bit glad that Jack did not go to meet her today. Indeed, it was a better choice for it to be Peter to meet her first. Raising my eyes to the ceiling, I wondered how Peter was doing. Hopefully, our dear, Miss Kett, hadn't made a bloody fuss about having another Wallis around.

Both had arrived a day ago, and had even taken temporary residency in the same inn as me. Jack was the most excited to be out of the U.K. while Peter, as always, was only here because he didn't want to be without his siblings; he was the baby, and had always kept up with both of his brothers.

"Ah, come now, have you actually been this stuffy even here with the American ninny? Or has the brat herself made your trip sour?"

Watch you mouth. That is what ran through my mind before I even could think of my real response. I furrowed my brows. Now why would I say that. The memory of that frosting from days earlier on caused my lips to tingle.

I press my knuckle to my lips before replying, "sour wouldn't be it."