Part 8

By the time I was minutes away from the café, I realized it was too late to turn back. This was a mistake. What the HELL was I thinking?! My palms were sweating so bad it seemed I was carrying ice cubes.

My vision is perfect, and I could already see his tossed, wavy, black hair through the windows. God, my stomach hurts just looking at him. The cross light turned to red, and I breathed in relief as our encounter was halted for a minute more. The last time I saw him, I knew my stupid cheeks were bright pink from the simple compliment he had given, and it all became awkward after that. He'd always try to get me to talk more, or go out, but I'd scoot away into an excuse to leave the conversation.

Go. The sign started counting down, and I began to walk. Once I opened the door, the warm air gave me a kiss on the forehead. It smelled amazing here. I scolded myself for always avoiding this place.

"Here, so you want three strawberry fl-" He was taking orders, and I waited in line while playing with my fingers. Secretly I hoped he knew I was here already. The other part was hoping he didn't know me at all.

"Have a great day, sir. See ya!" Dale shouted cheerfully and gave a small wave, once he turned to face me I saw his eyes do that thing I almost couldn't stand; they sparkled. What killed me was not knowing if it was actually because of me.

It can't be you, it of course is the amount of sun that shines through the window, and bounces into his eyes. Duh.

Shut up. Let me dream. I argue with my thoughts before Dale breaks it up.

"Lania, you're really here! Wow. I-" he cleared his throat, "you are always busy, being such a hard worker, and everything."

"Yeah, I can be tough to get a hold of, sorry." I looked away and smiled the best I could.

I'm lying, I have no life.

"Don't be, you had moved back home, so I knew I'd see less of you around town."

"Middletrench is still my second home, I'll be moving back here in a year, maybe."

"Oh, okay, cool."

"Cool."

Cool? COOL?!

This definitely was dying, so I handed him my debit card trying to seemed focused. Like, nah, little Dale, I'm not here for you. Ignore, please, the sound of mutated butterflies fluttering about in my stomach.

"I'm here for the usual order Alexis takes."

"Oh, right. Give me a sec, Lania, coming right up!" He palmed his forehead, smiled, then rushed off preparing things with his coworker. The entire time I tried coming up with things to say, but I couldn't muster a single thing other than thank you, and good bye.

"See you later, maybe?" Dale winked as I froze with a hand in the tip jar.

Don't wink at me, or I'll take back those two dollars.

"Ah- yes, bye, and thank you, Dale!" Smiling weakly, I rushed off with the two bags out of there. Past the cars, street, and coworkers, I kept going till all I was staring at was the grey paper bag with my name on it.

"Hon, so how'd it go?" Alexis was already finishing her second donut when she walked in on my slouched figure. My bag had remained untouched. I didn't want the coffee anymore.

Slowly I turned the bag to face her.