Chapter 31: Into the light

Loren's POV

Killian's rough hand gently ran up and down my arm as he rambled about how much Adam had stepped up in the company since I had gone missing. Apparently he had to go to their "big deal" meetings alone while I was missing and miraculously turned into Killian 2.0. 

"Apparently Wesley was scared shitless by Adam, they agreed to terminate the contract with us and now have to find another investor. Adam even managed to break a desk!" He laughed "although he did go on and on for a few hours the night after about how guilty he felt". 

"Wesley?" I questioned the familiar name.

"Anyways, Adam is back home in Seattle now. It's almost as if the man owns the whole damn company now" he chuckled and continued to rub his thumb over the back of my hand. A soft beep rhythmically continued in the background.

"Wesley?" I asked again, annoyed that Killian ignored my initial response. But again, he did not respond. 

"You're friends have been calling nonstop but the doctor said it's best to keep the visitors at a minimum... not good for the brain I guess..." He trailed off. 

"Then let them call me! I'm not a prisoner in here. I want to go home!" 

"I haven't told your parents yet. I don't even think they know I exist" he let out a soft chuckle. "we're trying our best to keep this out of the media though. So far it has been working. I'm worried that it will be harder to find who took you if its plastered all over the news. But I don't want to make you think about that while you heal. Fuck. Sorry. I already mentioned it" I heard him groan and his hand left mine, probably to run through his hair. 

Wait, why cant I see? This whole time Killian was talking I was staring into a blank space, filled with my imagination as he told me these stories. Why couldn't Killian hear me? 

Oh my god. Am I dead? Am I a ghost now? The rhythmic beep that was in the background quickened and a short moment later was drowned out by an alarm. 

"Fuck Loren, I'm sorry. The doctor told me not to talk about anything stressful to you and what do I do? Bring up what got you here in the first place" His hand returned to mine as he let out a sigh. "It's just so hard seeing you like this. I miss you. I miss your smile, your touch, your voice. He says that you just need time. He tells me that talking to you might help you come back quicker but its been one month baby. Just give me a sign that this is working."

Wait... WESLEY.

A knot formed in the pit of my stomach as I recognized the name. At the same time the alarm in the background was accompanied by more and I heard shuffling in the room. 

Various voices entered the room asking what had happened which was followed by something being paged overheard. At the same time the dark void that I was staring into became bright and warm. The noises of the room slowly became muffled and Killian's hand no longer held mine. Eventually I was surrounded by silence, welcomed by the warm light. 

***

"Boss, Wesley just texted me. The deal is off. Apparently that Adam guy put on a whole show acting like Killian who wasn't even there. Probably looking for this pathetic thing" 

A pointed finger poked into my left arm causing me to groan.

"What was that?" A different voice questioned. I couldn't see where I was since the horrendous brown sack was still over my head. "Is she awake?" They asked again as we drove over a large bump which caused me to groan again. 

"Fuck, how much did you inject??" 

"Enough to knock her out..."

"Well no enough you Idiot! Did you bring extra?"

Silence filled the car for a few seconds until the man who poked me spoke up "No".

Suddenly the car came to a sudden stop. "Get her out now. We cant risk her waking up even more and finding out who we are."

The door that I was leaning on suddenly opened and I was dragged out into a cool fall day, hitting the back of my head on the car in the process. 

A raging pain traveled through my body at the same time and I was instantly brought back to the hospital room. Multiple alarms blared in the background as another shot of electricity shot through my body again causing my to jolt off of the bed. 

The room was filled with silence except for one constant beep. I looked up at the monitor and saw one flat line.

"Doc, should we call it? We've already hit the maximum shocks..." One of the nurses asked.

'No no no no no. I'm here now. Please give me one more chance. I need to tell Killian what I just remembered!' I screamed out.

"No, lets try one more. Charge!" The doctor yelled. "Clear!". I watched as my lifeless body jolted off of the bed and pain spread from my head to my toes. Tubes entered and exited my mouth and nose. Multiple cords ran from different spots on my body. Worst of all, I was completely naked as the doctor held two black paddles to my chest. 

I squeezed my eyes shut and hoped that they wouldn't give up on me. Not now. 

The constant beep persisted for a few long seconds and was eventually replaced with a familiar rhythm.

"Shes back in sinus" The doctor almost laughed. "It's a miracle. Somebody go get Mr. East. This girl is a trooper!!!" 

I relaxed my eyes and watched as the nurse who suggested that they call my death covered me back up. In the door stood Killian. His eyes bloodshot and his hair a mess. Dark bags grew under his eyes and it looked like he hadn't shaved in days. Instead of wearing his usual suit he was wearing dark jeans and a black sweatshirt. 

I watched as he ran up to the side of the bed and fell to his knees, resting his head on my arm as he intertwined his fingers with mine. His shoulders jerked up and down as he wept softly into my body. The doctor stood at my feet and updated him on my condition and Killian just nodded in response as the doctor patted his shoulder and walked out of the room leaving just us two. 

"I'm sorry" He whispered between sobs. I felt the strong urge to just wrap my arm around him or even squeeze his hand but it was physically impossible to. Instead I was left to watch him cry over my pathetic, lifeless body until he fell asleep. 

I'm sorry too.