Chapter 40: DESTINation

The five hour flight passed quickly and I was woken up to Killian speaking loudly over the phone. I rubbed my eyes and looked out the window only to be blinded by the sun's rays that shined in.

"And please, do not bother me for the remainder of the week. If you need anything speak with Adam". He closed his eyes as he hung up his phone. "Fucking idiots" he mumbled without realizing that I was awake.

I guess we weren't going on another work trip. I was so used to going on trips for work with Killian that I just figured that was what this was. Once my eyes adjusted to the light I looked out the window again as we started our descent with clear blue water to the right of us.

Before long the flight attendant was opening the jets doors and were exiting the plane. Immediately the heaviness of the air and heat from the sun hit me.

"Welcome to Destin" Killian spoke from behind me, a smile clear in his voice.

"Destin?? As in Florida?" I asked. I guess that explained the horrid humidity and heat. I wiped a droplet of sweat from my forehead as Killian laughed from behind me, confirming that we were in fact in Florida. "It has a special place in my heart. I hope you love it as much as I did and do" he continued.

"You could have taken me to the middle of nowhere and I would have loved it as long as you were there" I turned and smiled at him as I stepped off of the final step onto the tarmac.

Killian laughed as he placed his hand on my back and guided me to the small black car that waited for us as usual. Killian greeted the driver and shortly after we were driving under large palm trees with the AC on full blast.

The car slowed as we approached two large metal gates with tropical plants and palm trees lining either side of the fence. Behind the gate was a white gravel driveway that led up to a white three story house with a porch that wrapped around the it to either side. We stopped at the front of the house where two tall mahogany doors were. The house was grand and old, screaming 'old money'. The property was well taken care of with its hedges perfectly pruned and lawn perfectly cut.

It always seemed like no matter where Killian brought me, I was in pure awe. I could never quite wrap my head around the money that he had or what he could do with it. Here I was thinking that we would be going to an Airbnb or hotel.

Behind the mahogany doors the home was even more impressive. The floors were made of large marble tiles with a round wooden table in the middle of it all. A single crystal vase sat on the table holding calla lilys.

"Madeleine will show you to our room, I'll meet you up there in a few" Killian turned back to finish talking with the driver.

I followed the short redhead who I figured was Madeleine and as I walked up the stairs I noticed that it was lined with pictures of the same family. In one of the photos a little boy with short brown hair stood on a boat holding a fish the size of himself, with the help of an older man who stood behind him. In the background a gorgeous woman with similar brown hair wearing a white high waisted swim suit stood smiling at the boy.

In another photo, that same boy but older was sitting at a table and an adorable little girl with blonde curls sat next to him. The same man and woman stood behind the kids smiling, holding a small baby in their arms. I stared at the photo as something about the man resembled Killian.

I paused at the top of the stairs and stared at the photo which  seemed to be of all of the kids in their teens in front of a sunset. Two boys, one with dark brown hair and hazel eyes and the other with long blonde hair and dark blue eyes wore Tommy Bahama style shirts stood behind a gorgeous girl with similar long blonde hair and blue eyes.