Chapter 15: Wake up

Loren's POV

He had just gotten home from work and I greeted him with a hug. As I took a deep breath, my nose was filled with an unfamiliar soft scent of lavender. My nose scrunched as I looked up at him, noticing that his hair was tousled and his lips were a brighter red than usual.

"Where were you?" I asked, my eyes watering as I looked at his hair. A detail I had noticed in the past but never paid much attention to until now.

"What? I was at work..." He motioned at his uniform and shook his head

"Just at work?" I asked, trying to help him lie better. I wasn't ready for the truth. I wanted him to be a good liar. I wanted to be shielded from the betrayal. But I knew what was coming. I knew the truth.

"Yes what the fuck is wrong with you? You're really going to stand there and doubt my whereabouts when I was at work, earning money to provide a roof over your head?"

Forcing a smile on my face, I shook the thoughts from my head. "No honey, I'm not doubting you!" I spoke cheerfully and planted a kiss on his cheek. "I made spaghetti but i'm not that hungry, its on the stove for you" I smiled again.

I didn't have the energy to fight him. I learned that in life we had the option to choose our battles and this was one I simply did not want to have.

For the rest of the night I hid in the bedroom. I sat at my desk crying, pretending to study but actually texting Emma and Mel.

"You have enough proof Lori, leave him. It's not worth it anymore. Stop lying to yourself. You cant keep denying it."

"She's right Lori.... some things you don't need to see to believe... and this is one of those things.... He's cheating. How else would he smell like lavender and his lips be bright red when you don't own anything that smells like lavender and you have never worn red lipstick in your life?"

They didn't know that I had also found empty condom wrappers and random pairs of panties in his pockets for the last few months. I did know the truth. He was cheating on me. I just didn't want to deal with it. I had so much going on already. I wasn't ready to be homeless. I didn't have a job.. I didn't have money..

"No, no, no" I shook my head in my hands.

The sobs grew stronger, shaking my body with every breath I took. My vision was now blurred and I covered my mouth not wanting him to know I was crying.

Behind me I heard the door open but I was too lost in darkness to turn around.

"Loren, baby wake up. Sweetheart, shhhh it's okay-"

A muffled voice made its way to my brain.

"Shhh shhhh Loren, wake up love, you're having a bad dream"

Suddenly the touch of a gentle hand made its way to my face.

Gasping for air, my eyes shot open as the comforting touch pulled me from the nightmare.

"Shhh baby its okay, im here" the voice that I now recognized continued. I blinked a few times to clear the tears and as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw Killian kneeling on the floor beside my bed. His eyes wide with concern forming a few wrinkles above his eyebrows. He was wearing nothing but a pair of grey sweatpants. His hair a beautiful mess.

Letting out another cry, tears filled my eyes again as I squeezed them shut. Instantly, his strong arms wrapped around me, lifting me up as he crawled into the bed. He was now sitting on the bed, his back propped up my the pillows. He held me in between his legs with my head on his chest. His left arm wrapped around my waist and his right hand held my head to his warm chest, cradling me in place.