Chapter 2: The Man-Eating tree, kittens and departing

Recap

"How amusing. But before that. Let's grab the shield before you teach me how to use it." he told the ancient power who just sighed. He asked his father for more money, before buying all the bread in the city and dumping them into the black hole of the man-eater tree. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'It seems you have already gotten the hang of it. You created a misty fog to block people from seeing you.' Abyss pointed out, as Cale didn't notice he was doing so. But when he looked up, he was indeed shrouded by a white mist. And not noticing the cold air around him. He ignored it and just continued to dump the bread into the hole. When he was done, he noticed the 2 kittens looking at him and trying to act cute. Then he remembered where he seen them before. Bending down to their level.

"I'm not a part of your clan. The mist is created by accident. I don't know, how I did it... do you want to come with me?" he asked and he took the purring as yes. Then he picked the pair up and wrapped them in his cloak, before headed back to the manor. All while ignoring the rainfall, he both him and the kittens were covered by the cloak. He took the pair directly to his room, ignoring the gestures from Hans to take his cloak, as it will be too valuable to be handed off to his servant. He personally gave the kittens a bath, as his cloak hung on the rack at the side. "Oi, Hans. Get the kittens some food." he instructed and the servant nodded, before walking off. As with the knowledge of runes, he places a silencing rune on the door, and it will deactivate when the door is opened by someone from the other side. "So, what are you names?"

"I'm On. This is my little brother Hong." the silver kitten introduced. "We are part of the cat clan."

"I can tell, I'm Cale Henituse the trash of the county. I will take care of you, but I need you help for somethings as well." Cale started and with that he explained his situation of being someone who came back from the future. "And I have an ancient power which allows me to manipulate ice."

"I see. So, that is why your hands are very cold. I understand." Hong said and he nodded. "But it felt warm under that cloak with you."

"That is because it's a magic object. I made it a magic cloak which helps me regulate temperature." he explained.

"Oh. Can we have one too? A big blanket, so we can share." Hong asked with curiosity which made On kick him a little, but Cale just laughed.

"We will see about that. I will need a big blanket." he said with a smile, as he remembers the little times he had with the crazy fool, who would jump at him with something similar to a cloak and blanket.

The kittens smiled, but everything returned neutral when Hans came back in with unsalted chicken and plates for the kitten. But also with Ron in tow, with his smile. The runes deactivated and vanished from it's spot on the door, like it was never there. Hans lay the food by the kittens and cooed as they ate from it, while Cale just stared at the butler. "Count Deruth have insisted that you join him for dinner."

"Fine. I'm done with my current business." Cale agreed, and walked behind butler. "So, when are you going to leave?" the red head bluntly asked, as now he does have something to fight back with those assassin father and son.

"by the end of this week."

"... " Cale didn't say anything else, as he wasn't expecting the butler to answer him directly. When he arrived at the dinning table, he silently sat at the other end of the table, his face was kept as neutral as he gets to see his family once again. After all of them died, leaving him alone. 'this time, I will protect you... but I still don't want to be the heir.' he declared. Cale didn't make any conversation, until there was a rumor of the library being haunted. 'is it?'

'it could be. When you adapted to the water attribute which I have... which means, you probably never had a water affinity... in fact, I think you have a wind one.' Abyss reveal and Cale yelled at the voice, but kept his poker face. The conversation didn't go on from there, until Deruth asked Cale something directly.

"Cale what did you take from the library?"

"... I took something I found fancy in." He answered cryptically as he knows that Hans wasn't able to check what it was as he placed a lock rune on the box where he kept the notes and a hide rune on the location of the box.

"Do you need me to call a tutor on the topic?" he asked.

"There is no need." Cale answered. As both him and the ancient power know the answer, the expert on this topic has already passed. As James Thames didn't live that long thanks to a certain group and the Moguru Empire. Once dinner was consumed, he left the tense atmosphere first, not wanting to stay there any longer.

For the next few days, he has been feeding the tree with On and Hong, with him. It didn't take long to get the shield, but then he was faced with another issue, as again his father tried to send him to the capital instead of Basen. But then he recalled the Plaza bombing... what should he do? 'It will be easier to get the Heart of Vitality if I move alone. But I don't want to be seen as the representative.'

'you should do it alone. Just put on a trash face and do what you need to do. Save the dragon and get the vitality.' Abyss adviced as he sighed and agreed to do so. "on the condition that Basen is the next heir of the territory. My hands are going to be busy with some business to manage the territory." he bluntly told his father with a straight face.

"W-what kind of business?" Count Deruth asked.

"... War father. You were right to strength our walls, but there will still be war... " he revealed sternly.

"And what makes you think you can fix it?" Deruth asked.

"... that is why I'm gathering what I need." Cale answered calmly before walking off, before his father could dismiss them.

"Hyung!" Basen called him from behind as he turned to look at his little brother before remembering the tower that Basen was in collapsing from an attack. "What do you mean, war will come?" but Cale didn't answer him as he smiled and the brunette's head calmly.

"Don't worry about that. Just leave things to me. This territory will stand. I will make sure it does." he said with the rare smile, before walking off to prepare the artifacts which will help him with his journey. As he used his memories to recall all the different runes his past friend had used to protect everyone.

'Don't worry too much about that. I'm here too.' Abyss reminded the noble, as Cale undid the runes to look through the notes and make more. When it came time to leave the manor to the capital, he promised his siblings of presents. Still donned in that cloak which Countess Violan tried to get him to throw it away, until he told her that its an artifact. Then she allowed him to keep it with him. By then Ron and Beacrox had left, without any healing materials. 'How irresponsible are they?'

Therefore, he done it for the idiots and told Hans to carry it and for half of the guards to leave. As they were not needed, but still a main bunch stay, like Hilsmen. He sat in the carriage and kicked Hans out, alone with the kittens. Who he shed his cloak to keep them warm. He was listening to Abyss explaining what he could do with his abilities and what is the best way to use them.

In the middle, there were a couple of bandits who were interrupting them. And some even launched arrows at the carriage, but because of the shield rune he already used on their vehicle. The arrows all hit an invisible wall, which caused the knights and even the bandits to be confuse. "How annoying...I guess I can test it out." Cale mumbled to himself, as he reached for the door to open it, and walked out of the carriage.

"So the rich brat finally came out - COLD!" the person talking was suddenly engulfed in ice as it seems to have spouted from nowhere and now. Locked the bandit in a frozen prison. Everyone was shocked and turned to their former useless master, who just used magic, when he has no affinity to magic. With another wave of his hand, a wall of ice appeared and pushed the bandits to the side, and it also froze them feet up to their waist. They tried to get out by banging on the ice, but it didn't budge.

"Let's get back on the road." he instructed the knights before climbing back into the carriage, as the knights did as requested, before they continued their way.