Chapter 65: Mary

"Mary, you can't do that in front of people you don't know! Sigh."

Tasha let out a sigh and grabbed Mary's arm. She then carefully pulled the robe down in order to cover the black lines back up. At the same time, she continued to observe Cale and Aster's expressions. Tasha was holding Mary's hand tightly.

"Raon-nim is right. You really are stronger than me. I admit defeat."

Aster cheerfully said, not bothered by the disgusting scars on Mary. In fact, everyone seemed to be unaffected by the sight.

"Tasha."

Cale looked right into Tasha's eyes and calmed her down.

"I don't plan to tell anybody so do not worry. We are already all in the same boat."

Tasha closed her mouth that had been repeatedly opening and closing without making a noise. She remembered what Alberu had said about this noble.

'Auntie, he may be rude, but he keeps his word. I can't trust him, but he had provided me so much support. Therefore, I would at least trust his ability to protect those under him. If some of our people decide to side with him, I will trust him enough to protect those who intend to harm our kind.'

In the end, it meant that Alberu trusted Cale, even if he would not directly say that. Tasha started to agree with Alberu the longer she interacted with Cale.

At that moment, Mary started to speak.

"I will also not speak about Dragon-nim. Since I cannot make a vow of Elementals, I will vow with my life instead."

Cale nods as her resolution, but that wasn't his intention, as he wants to draw her into his group. For the future battle and to help Ron.

Tasha then heard her grandfather starting to speak.

"Young master Cale, do you know about necromancers?"

"I know as much as any other person."

From the old history books, Necromancers referred to people who used dead mana to control dead creatures to fight. They also had scars on their bodies that were impossible to hide, even with magic.

Just like Mary's arm they just saw, their entire body is covered with a black veins that look like spider webs.

The black spiderweb human.

It was the side effect of using dead mana that living beings should not be able to use. That might have been another reason that the necromancers were hunted down, in addition to their use of corpses to fight.

"My name is Mary."

Mary started to speak again.

"I am twenty-five this year."

She introduced herself following Raon's style. Cale quietly listened while Raon was looking at the black robe with curiosity.

"I have lived in this City of Life for the past 15 years. I remembered running away into the desert with my family when I was 10 years old."

The necromancer Mary was, as expected, one of the people who ran away from the village.

"That is the only thing I remember."

With this information, Cale nodded as it wasn't difficult to guess. Mary has no memories aside from running away to the Land of Death when she was 10. she was saved by the Dark elves while on the run and seeing that she doesn't have her parents. The dead mana probably rose while they were running away.

"I was the one who found her."

Shawn recalled what had happened 15 years ago.

"As we mentioned before, dead mana rises into the Land of the Death twice a year. We go up to the surface every night when we know that the time is near in order to quickly bring down any humans who are running away into the desert. Since most of them are malnourished, even the slightest amount of dead mana can be critical."