Chapter 42

Tigers jumped out of cages, their roars and growls reverberating through the air, striking a primal terror in every living being present.

Horror inflated hearts of those present,  something icy cascading down their spine, the sensation almost reminiscent of the Grim Reaper’s deadly touch.

A darkness set in the arena. From where Ruhi stood, she could feel the hopelessness emitting in tangible waves, singing out lores of her inevitable demise.

People could practically imagine her death walking towards her in slow deliberate march.

Any other day she would possibly had been scared. But today she felt nothing but calmness. A sated peace, for even if there was no hope, Govind would forever be there.

And that realisation was enough to anchor her. He was enough to ground her.

After all, what is greater than Govind? Certainly not death. For she knew, in the end it is him, with whom you merge and be one.

He was the ultimate destination of all.

Screams penetrated the shocked silence, that blanketed the area. Parents shut the eyes of their children, pulling them closer.

Trying to protect them from the cruelty they were about to witness.

Pin prick sensation of terror skidded down their bones, sparking a gut clenching dread.

Their gazes moved to the king. Cruelty glinting in dark hardened orbs of Jarasandh, who was watching over the happenings with a sick satisfaction, that had their stomachs roiling with disgust.

The mighty roar of the beasts had their attention back on the arena, its thunderous sound seemed to beckon death, igniting their hearts, that seemed still a moment ago, but now pumped with vigor.

It didn't  matter that they were high up protected from the prowling tigers, moving towards the vulnerable girl.

The glaring heat of the sun beat down on Ruhi, making it impossible for her to keep her gaze focused. Dark spots danced in her vision.

The heavy feel of metal rubbing against her skin, reminded her of the heavy shackles.

Her body thrummed with exertion of merely standing. Darkness beckoned her, its soothing cool embrace was tempting.

Jarasandh smirked, a self satisfied glee spreading through him.

"Your plan is working, the girl is too weak to even stand, let alone run, this would be a quick and swift kill, where the animals could eat her away."

One of the subject's praised, a malice joy reflecting off his face.

Anticipation pumped through the king, eagerness striking down his soul. He leaned forward, his eyes hooked on the scenario ahead.

A self satisfied glee masking his features. "Oh come on! Tear her away! Sink those sharp canines in her soft

He could almost smell the tangy odor of beautiful crimson blood, that would perfume the air, as the ravenous beasts would tear her flesh, its sickening sound and her agonised screams would be melody to his ears.

Oh what a scene it would be.

Ruhi blinked her eyes, struggling to keep them open. The ravenous beasts ahead of her sneered, their roars had goosebumps breaking throughout her skin.

Their bodies rumbling with their fierce growls. Mouths snarling open giving a perfect view of razor-sharp canines that she had no doubt would tear her flesh down.