⊰3⊱

💫

Acacia/Ciarán - Age 8

Just as the fear takes hold of me, the shift in colors is one of brilliant gold and white light. It brings warmth, casting out the darkness as I hold onto my mama tighter, my daddy's eyes still searching mine as if they are void.

Breathing in slowly, my daddy becomes transparent, a delicate field laid out before me. The ticklish light breeze surrounds me, lifting my gaze to a large oak tree, though it's quite familiar to me. Lowering my gaze down to the base of the tree trunk, I see many people. They stand in lines, all eyes focused on the couple beneath of the tree, shaded by the midday sun from its leaves.

"Acacia?" I exhale sharply, my daddy replacing my vision as I'm drawn back to the present. Dante furrows his brows while rubbing his chin, standing just behind my daddy while they both stare at me, one with confusion as the other becomes very critical in the next few seconds.

My mama is the one to save me, clearing her throat as she turns me in her lap. Her eyes smile with warmth when I look into them, her voice soft as she says, "How about we get you in the bath and then get you ready for bed?"

I nod my head, glancing once more at my daddies before mama stands to her feet with me held firmly to her chest in her arms. She casts them both a look before walking with me out of the room and toward my bedroom door. As she walks with me, I glance up at her and ask, "Are you disappointed in me?"

My mama tilts her head to the side with confusion and asks, "Why would you ever think that?"

I look down at my hands and reply, "Because I'm human."

She says nothing in return, reaching my open bedroom door before walking with me inside and maneuvering to the bathroom. My mama sets me down on the floor, sitting on the edge of the tub while she turns on the water, getting it warm. As she does this, she opens the bottle of bubbles and pours some of the liquid under the water stream. With her hands under the running water, she turns to me and says, "I could never be disappointed in you."

"But I-"

"You are such a loving, beautiful and caring girl," she interrupts me, flicking the water from her fingertips at me and I giggle.

She smiles and allows the tub to fill with the water, helping me out of my clothes. Just as she walks away to throw them in the clothes hamper, the water reaches the right height, my mama walking back in with my pajamas and a towel. She leans over, turning off the water before saying, "Acacia..." her voice trails off, her eyes flickering to meet with my own and I catch the golden glimmer that reflects off her cobalt irises, "...there's nothing wrong with being human."

I breathe out while nodding my head, mama helping me into the tub before I sit down and blow the bubbles across the surface of the water. It smells like strawberries.

Mama sits on the lid of the toilet next to me, a smile on her face as I try and gather the bubbles, making a bubble hat on my head. When I look at her, she can't help but giggle as the bubbles slide down my face.

When her laughter stops, she eyes me and asks, "Do you want to talk about what happened?"

My heart skips a beat, my smile instantly dropping when she brings it up.

She's sneaky.

She thinks she can take me off guard.

My mama isn't as intelligent as my daddy, but I'll give her credit for trying.

"I fell," I reiterate what I already told her.

My mama tilts her head to the side and says, "That's not exactly what I was referring to, Acacia."